Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a quick way to number iTunes album tracks?

I'm in a band and have just copied a load of our demos to iTunes as an album, complete with artwork, etc.

Is there a quick way to apply a track number to each song, so the album is in the correct order?

Or do I have to do a 'Get Info' for every song individually and laboriously number each song as track '1 of 30', track '2 of 30' and so on?

I know you can reorder songs in playlists fairly easily, but I want to do this as album, with artwork, etc.

So far I have only found the 'Get Info' individual numbering method, which seems awfully long-winded for what should be a simple process! 😟

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:19 AM

You can do it a bit more easily in iTunes than doing a Get Info "for every song individually and laboriously number each song..." 🙂

Show your iTunes library (or playlist) with these songs using the Songs view, to show a plain list with columns. Sort the song list using the Album column, so that songs from each album are shown together. Select the first song of an album as shown on the list (does not need to be the first track of album). Do a Get Info on that song.

In the Info window, enter just the Track number (don't worry about the "of" part at this point). At the bottom left corder of Info window, click the "Next" (arrow) button. The Info window shows the next song of album (as shown on the list), with cursor already in the Track number field. Enter that song's track number. Repeat for all the songs on the album.

Back on the song list, confirm all songs on album are in the proper Track # order. As the last step, select all songs on the album together, and Get Info on the selection. In the multi-item Info window, enter the "of" part of the Track #.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 7:19 AM in response to Robin Johnson

You can do it a bit more easily in iTunes than doing a Get Info "for every song individually and laboriously number each song..." 🙂

Show your iTunes library (or playlist) with these songs using the Songs view, to show a plain list with columns. Sort the song list using the Album column, so that songs from each album are shown together. Select the first song of an album as shown on the list (does not need to be the first track of album). Do a Get Info on that song.

In the Info window, enter just the Track number (don't worry about the "of" part at this point). At the bottom left corder of Info window, click the "Next" (arrow) button. The Info window shows the next song of album (as shown on the list), with cursor already in the Track number field. Enter that song's track number. Repeat for all the songs on the album.

Back on the song list, confirm all songs on album are in the proper Track # order. As the last step, select all songs on the album together, and Get Info on the selection. In the multi-item Info window, enter the "of" part of the Track #.

Is there a quick way to number iTunes album tracks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.