Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

psd won't re-import after delete

I will try to be as specific as possible here since it's a bit weird.

I have a client that I do frequent work for. I shoot a lot of videos for them that contain various interviews so I need to add a lot of names and titles. They created a layered .psd lower third for me to use each time. I open in Photoshop, add the particulars, save it out, import to FCP X (10.2.3) by leaving the original file in place and drop it in the timeline. Sometimes I need to make a change to the .psd to correct spelling or adjust a very lengthy title, etc. Once I make the change to the original file in Photoshop it is 50/50 whether the formatting will look proper. Often, FCP will indent some of the type or change the leading or something. So, I delete it from my library and reimport but sometimes FCP will not let me re-import it. I select to import it and FCP will act as if it was successful with no error message, but the file will not appear in my library. The only way I can re-import is if I change the name of the file. Any ideas how I'm supposed to handle this? I am guessing it has to do with the alias that was created when I imported the original file, but why can't I replace it?

Macbook Pro 15" mid 2014, OSX 10.11.3, FCP X 10.2.3. Editing on an external G-technology drive connected through Thunderbolt 2.

Final Cut Pro X, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:30 AM

2 replies

Feb 9, 2016 7:46 AM in response to GC_film-images

When you delete a clip, it may disappear from the browser, but if it is still used somewhere it will not be actually deleted. I am guessing that this is what is happening to you. You probably used that clip somewhere (maybe it is an old project, or a duplicate you made).

When a clip is about to be actually moved to the trash, you should get a "Some clips will be moved to trash" dialog. I suspect you didn't for this one, which means it is still around (though "invisible") and that is why importing is not working.

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2016 8:10 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

You are right I didn't get that dialog, but the file is not imported to the library, it's left outside the library in its original location. When I create the lower thirds I am opening the previous .psd I made, save as to make a new file, make my changes, save it, then import it. It's a different file with only one instance (the title only appears the first time that person appears on screen). These are 2-3 minute vids. Also, every video gets its own library. You could be close to the answer, but... not exactly?

psd won't re-import after delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.