Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 error 53 - touch ID question

I am posting this because my last question is marked as "solved" when it has not been solved.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.

I do not use, nor ever have, used fingerprint scanner for security or anything else, nor wish to. (The phone does not contain my fingerprint nor has it ever)

If there is no fingerprint ID ever registered on the phone, then there is nothing to hack, so nothing needs securing in that regard.

If I were ever to have to get 3rd party repair work, relating to the hardware affected (home button, screen - I have had to get these repaired/replaced out of warranty on previous iPhones by a 3rd party) carried out on this iPhone, would apples error 53 "security" still brick my phone to keep me "secure"?

Assuming this update in IOS 9 does still lock me out, essentially, in my case scenario, error 53 security would appear to be absolutely useless in terms of a security feature, and would render my phone just as useless for no reason whatsoever, or so it would appear?

samb0b

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.1

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:55 AM

2 replies

Feb 9, 2016 8:00 AM in response to samb0b

Error 53 is a indicates a hardware fault related to touch ID. Either physical damage to the touch ID hardware, or a mismatch between the touch ID sensor and the logic board.

Apple does not sell iPhone parts. No 3rd party has legitimate access to iPhone parts. The only possible sources for parts are salvaged parts, stolen parts, and counterfeit parts.

If the touch ID sensor in the phone is replaced by anyone other than Apple, it will no longer be properly paired with the logic board, resulting in an error 53 when the phone is updated or restored. iOS can not install if there is a physical problem with the security mechanisms of the phone. Doing so would allow for the security of the device to be compromised.

Whether you want or intend to use Touch ID is not relevant.

iPhone 6 error 53 - touch ID question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.