Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Remote Desktop hangs on OS X 10.11.3

When I start ARD it hangs. No windows show. The menus drop down but the menu items are disabled. No spinning beachball. I have to force quit it.

I uninstalled ARD using these instructions: Uninstall or disable Apple Remote Desktop - Apple Support , restarted my Mac, and then reinstalled from the App Store. Still hangs. Also tried turning off the Firewall in System Preferences.

I hadn't used ARD for a while so I'm not sure if this problem started with a certain version of OS X or not. Anyone else experienced this? Any solutions? Thanks.

Apple Remote Desktop 3.8-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:25 AM

When the application starts, it needs to open communication with the ARDAgent process. If the agent is stuck, you can try running this command in Terminal: "sudo killall ARDAgent"

2 replies

Feb 16, 2016 7:39 AM in response to remotedesktop

Thanks for your reply. Restarting my Mac should have killed the ARDAgent process. It's possible that Apple's instructions for uninstalling ARD did not delete a corrupted ARDAgent settings file.

Since I no longer need all the bells and whistles of ARD, I have switched to using the built-in screen sharing. Choose Connect to Server in the Finder and type vnc://clientname.yourdomainhere.com.

Apple Remote Desktop hangs on OS X 10.11.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.