Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a maxed-out iMac, but FCPX is still slow.

I have a fully maxed-out iMac, with plenty of space free on a 1TB SSD. I run FCPX projects primarily off a thunderbolt-connected Drobo 5D, but I continually get a beach ball and rarely get smooth audio in FCPX. Specifically, when I multicam 3-camera projects, it becomes a very frustrating work environment of skipping audio, beach balls, and stuttered video. Does it sound like some RAM is going bad, or is truly, this cadillac of iMacs just not powerful enough to handle this kind of rendering? I'd love an opinion if you've got it!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1600 MHz

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 8:29 AM

12 replies

Feb 9, 2016 10:05 AM in response to 60watt

60watt wrote:

or is truly, this cadillac of iMacs just not powerful enough to handle this kind of rendering? I'd love an opinion if you've got it!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

4 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

Well Alex Lindsay, founder and CEO of Pixelcorps and former Lucasfilm member who worked on the Star Wars movies says, Pixelcorps uses 5K Retina iMacs for most of their production work, not Mac Pros. Having recently filmed in the White House with President Obama Pixelcorps apparently thinks the Cadillac iMacs have plenty of horsepower for professional use. Maybe you could retain Pixelcorps as advisers on how to use FCPX on your iMac. They seem to know.

Feb 9, 2016 11:25 AM in response to 60watt

As raufkann87 suggested download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here (and recommended by Apple Support personnel) in the ASC to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

User uploaded file

Feb 10, 2016 1:45 AM in response to 60watt

What drives are in your Drobo? How are they formatted? Are they set up as a RAID or some Drobo-specific arrangement?

I don't associate Drobo with video drives, but I am not too familiar with them.

You could run BlackMagic Disk Speed Test on the Drobo and tell us what you get.

Also, you could try creating a test library on your internal SSD and compare - it is likely to just "fly"...

Feb 10, 2016 7:46 AM in response to Bosco1983

I believe your key combo is off by one key = NOT SHIFT but rather Option

Resetting NVRAM (PRAM)

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

I have a maxed-out iMac, but FCPX is still slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.