Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is a DMG file? can they be deleted from my mac pro?

I have the following two files which are taking up 124gb of memory:

Macintosh HD Back Up.dmg

My_Passport_Apps_1_0_3_16.dmg

I have backed up my hard drive to an external so just wondering if these are needed?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 8:45 AM

DMG files are Disk Images -- Virtual disks inside a file. When you double click on a disk Image, it virtual disk is mounted.

When your Backups are completely up-to-date, the backup files (first files you mentioned) will delete themselves automatically. When your un-completed backups are piling up, so will these files. However, these files are considered EXPENDABLE, and if you need disk space for anything else, these are deleted automatically to free up space.

The second file is likely (based on its name) to be copy of the Utilities shipped by the manufacturer of the My Passport drive. Look into it and keep the ones you want, and you are free to delete the rest. Most users find no use for the Utilities shipped with drives like this, so you are likely not missing anything.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 8:45 AM in response to Coopett

DMG files are Disk Images -- Virtual disks inside a file. When you double click on a disk Image, it virtual disk is mounted.

When your Backups are completely up-to-date, the backup files (first files you mentioned) will delete themselves automatically. When your un-completed backups are piling up, so will these files. However, these files are considered EXPENDABLE, and if you need disk space for anything else, these are deleted automatically to free up space.

The second file is likely (based on its name) to be copy of the Utilities shipped by the manufacturer of the My Passport drive. Look into it and keep the ones you want, and you are free to delete the rest. Most users find no use for the Utilities shipped with drives like this, so you are likely not missing anything.

what is a DMG file? can they be deleted from my mac pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.