Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport will connect to Brother 2270DW via USB but not ethernet

Apple replaced my Airport Extreme after only 9 months and it's been quite a challenge to get back to square one.

On the older AirPort I connected to my Brother wireless printer via an Ethernet port on the router but now it does not detect the printer. I changed cables to no avail. I finally connected via USB to the AirPort and wireless printing is restored but why does it not see my ethernet port. The port works because I connected via cable to my laptop and it lights up. Do I have an issue with the port or the printer?

It just will not see my printer via ethernet. What gives?

Thanks

Alexander

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iMac, MBP

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:12 AM

6 replies

Feb 10, 2016 9:43 AM in response to albark

It's important to understand that when you connect a printer to the AirPort's USB port, the base station's print server is enabled and used to share the printer with the network. However, when you connect a printer to the base station's Ethernet port or by Wi-Fi, the printer itself must provide this service. In the latter case, the base station does NOT detect the printer other than it keeps track of its MAC ID address. The base station does NOT recognize that it is a printer, just another network client and assigns it an IP address like any other client.

So, when connected by Ethernet, the printer must be recognized by the network client that needs to use it as a resource. That would mean, that client must have the latest printer driver for this printer that support network printing.

Feb 10, 2016 3:08 PM in response to albark

A following things may help:

• Assign a static private IP address to the printer. This should help network clients "find" it easier.
  • If your printer support Bonjour, install Bonjour for Windows on her computer.
  • If your wireless network using a Network Name (aka SSID) that includes spaces or special characters, rename it not to use either. For example, if your current wireless network is called: M% WiR3less *etwO#k, rename it to something like: MyWirelessNetwork
  • Finally do not use the "hidden network" option as a security feature.

Airport will connect to Brother 2270DW via USB but not ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.