Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updating imac

I have a 27" iMac, Mid 2011 running OSX 10.7.5 Mountain Lion. Can I upgrade directly to El Captain OSX 10.11.3 without going through any other upgrades using the free upgrade available on my update page? T

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:22 AM

4 replies

Feb 9, 2016 9:32 AM in response to enricafromlondon

The system requirements for El Capitan are:

General Requirements

• OS X v10.6.8 or later
  • 4GB of memory
  • 8.8GB of available storage
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.
  • Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.

Mac Hardware Requirements

For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac, then choose More Info. These Mac models are compatible with OS X El Capitan:

• MacBook (Early 2015)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)

Feb 9, 2016 12:09 PM in response to enricafromlondon

Have you run any "cleaning" or "optimizing" apps on your Mac? Do you have any anti virus software installed. If the answer to either of those is yes uninstall them before upgrading to El Capitan.

El Capitan requires 8.8 GB of free space for installation but you should maintain a minimum of 10-15 GB of free space at all times or optimum system and application performance.

Although your iMac model will run OK with only 4 GB of memory you will find that 8 GB will give you much better performance. You have the same model as I do.

User uploaded file

updating imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.