Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6s plus 3rd party lightning cable

I recently purchased two iPhone 6s plus(for myself and my wife) and a 3rd party lighting cable(3m). When I attached my phone to the 3rd party lightning cable to sync to my mac it worked perfectly(charging and syncing). Unfortunately the same cannot be said for my wife's iPhone, because when attached to the same cable and mac the following message appears on her screen"This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone". I understand that it could be caused by the 3rd party cable, usually, but the fact that its working on one iPhone 6s plus and not the other has me dumbfounded. Would appreciate it if anyone can chime in with a why this may be?

Thank you Kindly.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:09 AM

11 replies

Feb 9, 2016 1:52 PM in response to myghz

myghz wrote:

I recently purchased two iPhone 6s plus(for myself and my wife) and a 3rd party lighting cable(3m). When I attached my phone to the 3rd party lightning cable to sync to my mac it worked perfectly(charging and syncing). Unfortunately the same cannot be said for my wife's iPhone, because when attached to the same cable and mac the following message appears on her screen"This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone". I understand that it could be caused by the 3rd party cable, usually, but the fact that its working on one iPhone 6s plus and not the other has me dumbfounded. Would appreciate it if anyone can chime in with a why this may be?

Thank you Kindly.

You need a cable that is marked "made for iPhone." But since it works on one and not the other, the problem may be dirt in the lightning connector on the phone that is preventing the cable from seating properly. Inspect it with a bright light and clean it if there is the slightest bit of debris in it. A toothpick or Q-Tip shaft (cut off the cotton tip) works well, or a compressed gas duster.

Feb 10, 2016 12:27 PM in response to myghz

I have 2 brand new third party cables that I purchased to have a spare at work and a spare in my car. Both of them no longer work to charge my iPhone 6 since updating to the latest IOS today. The cables both worked just fine earlier today, software updated and now they don't. I'm convinced it is an Apple issue with not getting profits from buying Apple cables, the same as they did with the repairs where people are suddenly getting the error 53 message if they used a third party to repair their iPhone.

Feb 11, 2016 7:52 AM in response to gatorschick07

gatorschick07 wrote:

I updated to 9.2.1 from 9.2

Then the problem is not the cable, because if it was you would have gotten that error before updating also (unless the cable just failed, but also unlikely as its two cables). Try cleaning the Lightning port on the phone; use a bright light to inspect it and remove any dirt or pocket lint you see in it. Use something non-metallic; a compressed gas can, toothpick, or a Q-Tip stick with the cotton swab cut off.

Feb 11, 2016 8:10 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have a defender otter-box case on mine so the port is always covered unless charging and the Apple cable works perfectly fine. Updated the iPad (which also has defender otter-box) at the same time and the exact same thing is happening to it with both of the third party cables. I highly doubt both lightning ports are so dirty that they both just stopped being able to use the cables that were plugged in and charging them just fine while updating then the restart happened and BAM neither cable works.

Feb 11, 2016 12:42 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have already tried an Apple cable and it works. I don't need to take it to Apple because I already know it is an Apple issue with not getting profits from buying Apple cables, the same as they did with the repairs where people are suddenly getting the error 53 message if they used a third party to repair their iPhone. I never asked you for your diagnosis, suggestions or opinion I simply replied to myghz that I also was having issues with third party cables, the same as thousands of other people who are posting all over the internet about the same third party cable issues.

Iphone 6s plus 3rd party lightning cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.