Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The superdrive on my iMac (21.5, end 2009) refuses to mount new audio cds. It's fine with cds which have already been imported into iTunes, and ditto dvds. But new cds are ejected, meaning I can't add anything to my music library from a cd.

The superdrive on my iMac (21.5, end 2009, running OSX 10.10.3) refuses to mount new audio cds. It sees cds which have already been imported into iTunes (12.3.2.35), and ditto dvds. But new (ie new to the computer) cds are ejected, meaning I can't add anything to my music library from a cd. Any help would be much appreciated!

iMac

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:04 AM

First try resetting the SMC & PRAM 2-3 times back to back per Intel iMac SMC and PRAM resets with all peripherals disconnected.

If that does not fix the problem, go to your local office supply store and get a CD/DVD cleaning kit and use it. If that does not work, then the SuperDrive is end of life and needs to be replaced. Many users with older iMacs simply get external DVD drives, if you need to do this I recommend contact OWC (www.macsales.com) and they can steer you to one that fits your needs.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Maudie15

First try resetting the SMC & PRAM 2-3 times back to back per Intel iMac SMC and PRAM resets with all peripherals disconnected.

If that does not fix the problem, go to your local office supply store and get a CD/DVD cleaning kit and use it. If that does not work, then the SuperDrive is end of life and needs to be replaced. Many users with older iMacs simply get external DVD drives, if you need to do this I recommend contact OWC (www.macsales.com) and they can steer you to one that fits your needs.

The superdrive on my iMac (21.5, end 2009) refuses to mount new audio cds. It's fine with cds which have already been imported into iTunes, and ditto dvds. But new cds are ejected, meaning I can't add anything to my music library from a cd.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.