Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Understanding my Imack.

My next door neighbor gave me a used I-Mack Serial # W8**********X85. I am totally ignorant about it. I need information on What does the icon Finder mean and do, as all the icons on the bottom of the screen? The screen is awesome. I am seventy two and the nineteenth will be seventy three and I am a senior citizen. I would like to learn about this I-Mack. **********.com

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:22 AM

4 replies

Feb 9, 2016 9:34 AM in response to pljamesone

I would suggest you ask your neighbor for help. It is possible that Apple may have made a printed manual for the computer. If they did, then you would find it at support.apple.com/manuals/. However, you will need to know the exact model you have in order to get the correct documentation.

You can also arrange to attend local instruction classes at your local Apple Store. Call them to find out what they have available. They also may offer One-on-One help.

Feb 9, 2016 10:45 AM in response to pljamesone

Please read the forum's Apple Support Communities - Terms of Use. You will see that the forum is really not intended for what you require unless you have a specific question to ask about a specific problem you have. You wish to learn what you can bout using this computer you now have. I offered what I believe is the most useful advice.

There is no cost to downloading manual from the Apple site. Since you have no local Apple Store from which to obtain education then I suggest you start at the library if there is one and a local book store. I would enquire at local schools to find out if they have resources you can use. Amazon.com has a load of books you can buy online. As a start I recommend: The Dummy Series of Books, The Missing Manual Series and others you will find should help you.

In the future there is no reason to be rude simply because you don't like what you hear. We are more likely to respond when you are polite.

Feb 10, 2016 5:30 AM in response to pljamesone

Start with a Google search for "os x basics tutorial" and you will turn up things to read that should get you started. Then based on what you read, do additional Google searches via your web browser (which I assume you have some understanding, as you were able to post to this forum 😁).

Here are some things I found to get you started

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/osxbasics

http://www.macforbeginners.com/

There is a lot of information out there.

Also go to a bookstore. One with a nice coffee shop, and browse the Mac books, while having a nice beverage. If you find a book that speaks your language, consider buying it, or drinking lots and lots of coffee in the bookstore's cafe 🙂

Then go home, and experiment, then do more Google searches, and more visits to the bookstore, until you are ready to teach classes.

PS. The correct name is iMac. Mac is short for Macintosh, as in a macintosh apple. Macintosh is the parent name of Apple's desktop and laptop computer line. Mac for short. The i (lowercase eye) was first added back in the mid-90's to stand for an internet connected Macintosh. So you have an iMac.

PS to the PS. You should NOT put your email address anywhere in public forum, as there is software out there that scans public forums for email addresses to then us for sending SPAM (junk email far worse than what the U.S. Post Office puts in your mailbox outside your house).

In general do not post any personal information in a public forum. No phone numbers, no addresses, no dates of birth, no email addresses, no SSN's, nothing, nada, nyet!

Understanding my Imack.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.