Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the best method/app to clean out old files on an iMac late 2009?

Wanting to clean out and delete some old files, some of which I do not even know about. What is best method and or app? I have airport time capsule as back up.

iMac

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:30 AM

5 replies

Feb 9, 2016 9:43 AM in response to AliSpa

One thing is for sure. I would never trust any software which would go in and do this, and certainly not in any automated mode. That's where such applications end up destroying your computer and then you have to start with a clean slate. If you are trying to do this to save space then likely odds and ends files are not taking up much room. Yes, 15 years ago 200 MB or so would have made a difference, but on a 1,000,000 MB modern drive?

I do something like this kind of cleanup once every 10 years. I do it when I do an operating system upgrade and/or get a new computer and do a fresh system install. Instead of using Migration Assistant I copy all data files by hand and re-install all software fresh. All the bits and pieces of junk from old software get left behind. As for data files, that's where it really, really, really is up to you to make the judgement call.

what is the best method/app to clean out old files on an iMac late 2009?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.