Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina 15 Early 2013 RAM upgrade?

Hi guys,

I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" Early 2013, and it came with 8Gb of RAM. While it seemed to be enough at the moment, it happened that with time I found out it's not enough at all for my daily needs on work. I'm a graphic designer and I work with Chrome, I tried to switch to other browsers (since it's the main memory eater in my laptop) but for work reasons I still need to stick over Chrome. I also have an extensive usage of Photoshop, Sketch, Illustrator, InDesign and eventually After Effects and Premiere. While all these software runs smooth on PC with Chrome opened and the same amount of RAM, in Mac it eats most of my memory (usually between 2-3Gb free with just Chrome opened).

Tried tons of solutions have a RAM cleaner, but I'm quite annoyed and sick of having a computer worth almost 2000€ and seeing how it already looks old in performance. Of course, I got even more annoyed by knowing these devices can't be upgraded manually as others used to be. It's one of the worst movements Apple made, and it seems the thing goes on.

I'm wondering which solutions are available out there to don't quit my MacBook yet (I like it, it just lacks RAM everywhere), but try to extend its life for at least couple of years more... I never felt so bad like I feel now after spending that amount of money and seeing how it doesn't fit anymore my needs after just 2 years having it... and being all by just a small piece of memory that costs 50€ out at the market.

Does Apple have any upgrade availability for this model? I know I can't do it by myself but I'm wondering if there's any solution paying (and being Apple likely a lot, but I reached a point where I don't even mind... I need it for work). Or I was wondering as well if Apple does have any "hardware upgrade" program (said in other words, if they'd pay for my laptop or reduce the new ones cost based on mine).

Thanks,

Macbook Pro 15 Inch, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:02 AM

1 reply

Macbook Pro Retina 15 Early 2013 RAM upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.