Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro randomly shuts off

Hello, I have a mid 2010 Macbook Pro 15" and a few months ago my laptop would start randomly turning off with a little "pew" sound. I would wait to restart it and realized it wouldn't stay on if I attempted to start it up while plugged in to the power adapter. I thought it was the cheap power adapter I bought, so I bought a new apple power adapter. The problem persisted and I took it into an Apple store to run diagnostics. Sure enough, the battery needed to be replaced. I replaced the battery myself and it has been working fine until this morning when it started shutting down randomly again after having died from battery depletion last night.

I don't know if I need to reset some things or if it's a logic board problem or what, but I'd like to see if anyone has any helpful tips.

Thanks a bunch!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:56 AM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2016 10:05 AM in response to sammjobe

Did you have your Mac repair for this problem:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video Quality Program has ended - Apple Support

You said "until this morning when it started shutting down randomly again after having died from battery depletion last night."

Do this mean after you fully charged the battery you are having repeated shutdowns?

What does battery status/cycle count says about the battery?

From whom did you purchase the battery?

Determining battery cycle count for Mac notebooks - Apple Support

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

Feb 9, 2016 12:54 PM in response to lllaass

No, I didn't. I didn't have this problem until maybe october of last year (2015).

It was the first time my battery had died since replacing it. I used it without the power adapter and forgot to put it back on to charge so it died. I plugged it in to charge this morning and while attempting to start it, it turned off. I had this problem before replacing the battery, but this is the first time since replacing it.

I attached the battery status below, and the manufacturer is GREENBOX.

I also reset the SMC and it has worked longer than normal, but after closing the laptop and opening it, it turned off again upon waking up from sleep mode.

User uploaded file

Feb 10, 2016 7:48 AM in response to lllaass

Hi, it was working for a couple hours after repairing the disk permissions, but after closing the laptop and leaving (it was plugged in, fully charged) and coming back it shut down. Tried starting up, shut down before it could load all the way. And has done so twice since. As of now, it won't turn on. also, when I press the p button sometimes the fans will just turn on and nothing else.

Macbook Pro randomly shuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.