Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shift key changing charters to symbols?

HI,

I can't figure out what I did but I'v somehow changed the function of the left shift key. The right shift key still works correctly.

If I hit the left shift key and then press K for example I get  that. All the keys give a different symbol or accented letter. I've looked in keyboard preferences and reset where possible but nothing has fixed the issues. Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.4

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:03 AM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2016 12:59 PM in response to nixon777888

Most likely...

The option (alt, ⌥) key is either stuck down, or is being depressed along with the left shift key. Probably the left option key. This is either a stuck key, or the keyboard has failed. There are instructions posted around the net for keyboard repairs, or — if the system is under warranty — have Apple take a look at it.

Less likely, and though the following probably isn't the problem...

In Keyboard Preferences, check that the languages are as expected, and that the input sources are as expected.

Reboot through Safe Mode, and see if the problem occurs in Safe Mode, and if it reoccurs after rebooting normally.

This is a user forum, and the folks from Apple aren't necessarily going to see or reply to postings here.

shift key changing charters to symbols?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.