Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8.1 stops when MacBook Air plugged in

My wife's MacBook Air (mid 2012) has been been running Windows 8.1 in Bootcamp without problems. But this morning it wouldn't boot up. It starts to load and then goes to a black screen. We tried all kinds of troubleshooting and then made a surprising discovery. Unplug the laptop and Windows works fine. Plug it back in and the screen goes black. I believe this MacBook Sir is running Mavericks or possibly an early version of Yosemite,

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:27 AM

7 replies

Feb 9, 2016 3:46 PM in response to George Hulseman

Your screen brightness is controlled with two different settings , Battery and Power Adapter. This has to do with Adaptive Brightness. On Battery, check Power Options and look for Adaptive Brightness settings and change them. You can also disable this behavior.

Please also see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/adjust-monitor-brightness-contrast#1T C=windows-7 .

Feb 9, 2016 4:09 PM in response to Loner T

Yes, thanks, Loner. That was the problem.

Occasionally when shutting down from Windows, I get a message saying that computer is downloading x of y updates. And usually it just stays like this and I have to force a power down by holding power button. But last night I decided to let it go all night and see if it actually downloads an update. But I also turned the screen brightness all the way down and left a note to myself to remind me of this. Somehow when my wife forced a shutdown, the dimmed screen brightness must have remained the default. It didn't occur to either of us to mess with the screen brightness until your message. D'oh!

Windows 8.1 stops when MacBook Air plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.