Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data to cloud storage

I've subscribed to 200 GB of Apple Cloud storage and want to clear out my MacBook Pro by storing my photos up in the cloud ( around 50 GB).

Whenever I try to upload, the process stallls after around 20 mins with an error message stating the MacBook has insufficient space!?!?

I also have around 55 GB of 'Yellow band' data which I haven't been able to either locate or clear ( I've already tried First Aid on the HD Utliltiy)!?!

Any advice/guidance on either of the above would be gratefully received.... but please dumb the answers right down... Me no speakee techno jargon.

THanks

MACBOOK PRO

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:03 AM

2 replies

Feb 9, 2016 2:26 PM in response to BLUE CC

Not sure if you are aware but Apple's iCloud is oriented towards syncing among devices rather than cloud storage. If you are uploading the photos by turning on iCloud Photo Library in the Photos app Preferences (OS X 10.10.3 or later), you can reduce the storage required for the local copy on the Mac by turning on Optimize Storage in the same Preference window. If you are adding the photos to iCloud Drive and have iCloud Drive turned on in Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud, a local copy will be stored on your Mac. As Eric mentioned above, you may want to consider an external drive solution.

Transferring data to cloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.