Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not shut down after starting and quiting any applications

Hi,

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro and i installed os x el capitan. When I start the computer and if I quit without going into any application everything is fine. Once I go into any application and then of course quit the application and then try to shut down (or even restart) the computer I get the box asking if me if I want to shut down and then when I continue to shut down the top bar disappears and then that is it, nothing more happens. I end up having to hold the power button down to shut down.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

regards

pab

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), MacBook Pro mid 2012

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:51 AM

1 reply

Feb 9, 2016 12:41 PM in response to Jakespinny

Is this a clean installed Mac or did you migrate data from another Mac or backup etc? Did you just upgrade from an earlier OS, if so which one?

Do you have external devices connected? If so disconnect everything & retest. If that helps you need to try each external device to see which one hangs the OS on shutdown.

You could also try safe mode…

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

Hold shift at startup & keep it held until you see the Apple logo. Login with your password & open some of your regular apps, then try a shutdown.

NOTE: safe mode disables a lot of Apple system extensions & all third party extensions, it is normal to see poor graphics or other 'laggy or strange' issues, some apps may not work at all. A reboot will get the Mac back to it's normal operation.

It is worth rebooting normally and testing again after using safe boot - it also clears out some caches that may alter how a Mac operates - the next boot can take a bit longer - that is normal.

can not shut down after starting and quiting any applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.