Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

brand new iMac fails to install software correctly

I just purchased a brand-new iMac (27-in 5K, upgraded to i7 Core, 256 flash drive; only 8 GB RAM but ordering 16 GB more RAM from macsales.com) and it arrived here a few days ago.

When I first started up, there were a handful of software updates I needed -- including an update to El Capitan with an iTunes update. All of my attempts at downloading and installing this software failed (it would download completely and then nothing would happen... it would just ask me to update the app again), so I contacted Apple Support and they had me download and install the update from a web link. Okay. That *kind of* worked. El Capitan is now updated to 10.11.3. But my iTunes still won't update. When I go to updates in the App Store, it says BOTH that I need to update iTunes to 12.3.2 AND that I updated to iTunes 12.3.2 in my "recent updates." My actual iTunes app is still 12.2.2.25.

1) Why won't iTunes 12.3.2 install? I can download it over and over and nothing ever installs. Restarts/shut downs are of no help.

2) And why is this happening to my BRAND SPANKING NEW iMac?! I spent waaaay to much money for a glitchy computer. I have waited 9 years to upgrade from my old macbook... and this is disappointing. I am half-tempted to return this computer because I'm afraid something isn't working right and don't want to be stuck with it. Apple won't explain to me why this is happening.

Thanks for any insight you all can give!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:12 AM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2016 11:26 AM in response to nstrong

Your iTunes is up to date. As for the El Capitan upgrade I have not a clue. My thought is to do this:

Boot the computer into Safe Mode, then restart normally. This will be slower than a normal startup.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - El Capitan

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar.. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run First Aid until no errors are reported. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, Download and Reinstall OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update.

You received a computer that came off the line with software. Since then some of that software has been upgraded, but you cannot upgrade a computer in sealed box.

You can return the computer in the first 14 days from date of purchase for a replacement or your money back - no questions asked. You can take advantage of your 90 days free telephone support if you wish. You can take it in and have the Apple Store check it out and verify all is working properly.

How, exactly, are you going about this re-downloading of iTunes? See Get the latest version of iTunes - Apple Support. Nothing that you have stated is a "glitch."

Feb 9, 2016 11:42 AM in response to Kappy

My iTunes *is* up to date? The app store has the little red "1" and tells me to update to iTunes. That red circle won't go away no matter what!

I totally understand needing to do some updates even though the iMac is new, I just... don't like that I could not install them.

I will try what you suggest with Safe Mode/repairing the HD.

(Oh and unfortunately, I live 4 hours from the nearest Apple Store... so not going there!)

brand new iMac fails to install software correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.