Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My time capsule is full and I need to back up my computer. Should I buy space in the cloud?

My time capsule is full and I need to back up my computer. How do I fix this problem. Do I buy space in the cloud ?

VIN,iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:43 AM

1 reply

Feb 9, 2016 10:58 AM in response to evansdavidf

Depends. You may simply need to erase the Time Capsule and start a new backup. The backup drive may be full because of all the retained and archived files in the backup. You could get an external USB drive and connect it to the Time Capsule and use it for backup (although not with Time Capsule.) You can get an external Firewire or USB drive and connect it to the computer for backup.

About TM "Backup Drive is Full" Alert

TM only deletes older files if they have been deleted from the source and when TM needs space on the backup drive for a new incremental backup. Time Machine "thins" it's backups; hourly backups over 24 hours old, except the first of the day; those "daily" backups over 30 days old, except the first of the week. The weeklies are kept as long as there's room.

So, how long a backup file remains depends on how long it was on your Mac before being deleted, assuming you do at least one backup per day. If it was there for at least 24 hours, it will be kept for at least a month. If it was there for at least a week, it will be kept as long as there's room.

Note, that on a Time Capsule the sparsebundle grows in size as needed, but doesn't shrink. Thus, from the user's view of the TC it appears that no space has been freed, although there may be space in the sparsebundle.

Once TM has found it cannot free up enough space for a new backup it reports the disk is full. You can either erase the backup drive and start your backups anew or replace the drive with a larger drive.

My time capsule is full and I need to back up my computer. Should I buy space in the cloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.