Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my iTouch store unsent mail docs in the Drafts folder?

I create a letter with address and subject and sometimes don't have time to finish composing.

I click the cancel button and a screen aska, "Delete Draft," "Save Draft," or 'Cancel."

I click "Save draft."

A warning pops up and says:

"Cannot Get Mail

The mail server

"mail.01.xxxx.com" is not responding.

Verify that you have entered the correct account in in Mail settings.

(OK) "

I click "OK"

The dialog box disappears and that's it. No doc appears in any folder on the iTouch, in the Cloud Mail folders or on my iMac.

The settings are exactly as they have been for five years.

Outgoing and incoming mail works fine.

I re-enter the settings, still no luck.

(On the office iMac the same action works fine including the sync to the iTouch's draft folder.)

Any suggestions would be dearly appreciated.

Many thanks

--GG

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6, #1 iTouch IOS 6.1.6

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:31 AM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2016 4:06 PM in response to garygladstone

lllaass:

Thanks, Yes I do have an IMAP account. It's been up and running for a few years on all my devices. I visited the link you suggested but it turned out to be a world tour of messaging troubleshooting. (I have no SMS services) and it doesn't talk about email and server issues.

I don't know my way around getting to and from servers but I can follow step-by-step troubleshooting.

Thanks, but I'm stalled.

--Gary

May 11, 2016 3:17 PM in response to garygladstone

I don't know if you're still having this problem, but I recently discovered a possible fix when trying to solve this problem on my wife's ipad.

We each have gmail accounts as well as imap accounts for our business. For whatever reason, the ipad couldn't save any drafts of emails. In all other ways, mail was functioning just fine - it was just the saving of drafts. We'd get the error you indicated in your initial question. The error was never about our gmail accounts or the gmail server - always our business email server.

I tried a lot of things including force-quitting the app and power cycling the ipad. I was just about to get into the process of removing the account and re-adding it per this link: Get help with Mail on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

HOWEVER, I experimented with the advanced settings for our business email server. Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> [our business email account] -> IMAP (click on the email address) -> Advanced. I noticed under Mailbox Behaviors that there were no values selected for Drafts Mailbox, Sent Mailbox, etc. So, I went in and populated these settings, choosing the appropriate folder for each one. Voila! It fixed the draft saving error.

I hope this helps you (or someone else out there).

Why doesn't my iTouch store unsent mail docs in the Drafts folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.