Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help creating a cover

I need help creating a cover. I do not want problems with copyright. Are there online companies that will do this for me?

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 6:02 AM

Hello,

I am a graphic designer and fine artist.

1. Try Lulu Self-Publishing. www.lulu.com Great for commercial design. Great email communication.

2. Behance, freelance creatives. www.behance.com If you need a design-y cover. This will mean working one-on-one with a freelance graphic designer.

3. Online design services such as VistaPrint www.vistaprint.com (I have no experience with this end of their business, I am not sure of their cover design options). An option, but not my favorite.

Good luck with your cover and your book

CHeers

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 6:02 AM in response to dinhr

Hello,

I am a graphic designer and fine artist.

1. Try Lulu Self-Publishing. www.lulu.com Great for commercial design. Great email communication.

2. Behance, freelance creatives. www.behance.com If you need a design-y cover. This will mean working one-on-one with a freelance graphic designer.

3. Online design services such as VistaPrint www.vistaprint.com (I have no experience with this end of their business, I am not sure of their cover design options). An option, but not my favorite.

Good luck with your cover and your book

CHeers

Feb 13, 2016 6:38 AM in response to AbstrakiGirl

Hello,

Thank you for your response. My concern is copyright. As an artist and designer, you may know the answer to this question.

How do I find the copyright info for a drawing, design, photo, etc?

Frequently there is no info provided.

Per your suggestion, I visited the Lulu web site. I submitted the same question to them and am waiting for a reply.

Thanks again, D

Feb 23, 2016 10:06 AM in response to dinhr

Here's the thing with copyrights:

Almost everything you will find online is copyrighted in some way or another. Example... if I take a photo and I put it on my website, it's mine. It belongs to me. If you take it and put it on another website, you are stealing my property by using it without my written permission.

Anything that is POSED (like pictures) or PROFESSIONAL (like pictures, posters, Disney characters, etc) is always copyrighted. Written blog entries are copyrighted to those who own them.

What I would recommend for YOU, or ANYONE, is to find a designer who will make something for you, as the other poster suggested. This means two things: 1) you are doing things the way you should by paying for it, and 2) even if the designer you hire uses copyrighted material illegally, if the worst should happen and the original author tries to sue you, you would then be able to easily point at the designer who did it and say, "I paid them to do it. I had no way of knowing they were stealing from you."

https://copyright.lib.utexas.edu/useofweb.html

Also, read this blog. It's pretty honest about the things that can happen.

http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/internet-copyright-law-failure

Only put things on your book that you yourself have made, or that you have rightfully purchased.

Mar 2, 2016 12:10 PM in response to dinhr

Sorry I did not see notification of your reply!

When you say no info, does that mean just a picture with a bunch of numbers for the title? Because anything more than that may help you, depending upon how creative you are. If the title is a strange word, search it. If the subject is unusual, or an unusual collection of things, say, a dog brushing his teeth in the grand canyon, search that.

Often, I find a google image search very helpful. In Google Chrome, you drag and drop an image over the search field instead of typing in a phrase. Hopefully, one of the links will help you find the artist/designer's contact info, or at least his/her name. Sometimes people will use identical usernames for different accounts, so someone who doesn't provide a contact on google plus could be messaged on pinterest.

A reference librarian can be an invaluable resource for computer searches. I'm being serious. You may be able to get the help you need via email.

These are some tricks which helped me track down people while assisting with copyright permissions for a book. I highly recommend the librarian.

help creating a cover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.