Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme

Why should an AirPort Extreme base station be solid amber and remain so out of contact? How do I get in to it to make changes?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), (27" iMac late '09) AirPort Extreme

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 12:07 PM

A solid amber LED status light would typically indicate a failed unit. You can try to get it working again by performing a "factory default" reset on it. This may take a few attempts to get it to stick. If these do not recover the unit, then a visit to your local Apple store may be in order.

6 replies

Feb 12, 2016 6:39 PM in response to TPaul

A solid amber light indicates a failed unit.

Apple considers the AirPort Extreme a sealed unit, so there is not really anything to check "under the hood" since they do not offer repairs or repair parts for the AirPort Extreme. A trip to the Apple Store would be for a replacement unit. You could take the failed unit in to have the store confirm what you already know if you wish.

If you have AppleCare in effect on one of your Macs.....and.....the AirPort Extreme is less than 3 years old, Apple will replace the device for you at no charge. Be sure to take the old AirPort Extreme to the store if that might be the case.

Feb 13, 2016 10:49 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

I thought so, I was just making sure. It's 6 yrs. old and no AppleCare, so down the store it is! Do you know what the average life is for one of these is, 6 yrs. seems a little on the low side? Mind you, I suppose these things aren't built to last there is no point in that, it would only stifle innovation, I come from the generation when utilities and etc., were expected to last forever. It took a long time for us to come to terms with incandescent light bulbs and etc....

Anyway, thank you v. much for your time & advice, much appreciated.

_Paul.

AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.