Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with remote access of Time Capsule

Hi, I need to set up my APTC in a way to access it over the Internet remotelly.

I did the following:

• on router Huawei HG622u
    1. enabling NAT
    2. mapping port
      • protocol: TCP/UDP
      • External start port: 8888
      • External end port: 8888
      • Internal host: local IP address of the TC
      • Internal port: 8888
      • Mapping name Air Port TC
  • on APTC (latest firmware installed)
    1. setting Back to my Mac: entering my Apple ID and password - green status
    2. setting APTC in bridge mode
    3. setting disk as shared
  • on Mac

setting iCloud Back to my Mac - no comments shown

When I try to access the APTC from Internet, I see the APTC in Finder/Shared section. But when I try to connect, I get message, that the connecion failed.

Could somebody advice whot shut I do to make it working?

Thank you, Eduard

MacBook Pro, Other OS, OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 12:25 PM

10 replies

Feb 9, 2016 12:49 PM in response to eduard_p

on router Huawei HG622u

enabling NAT

If it is possible to run your modem without NAT, ie bridge so that the TC is the main router, will be far more successful than trying to forward BTMM through a router.

BTMM as I understand it should use a lot more ports.. but it is very hard to get a TC behind a NAT router to work. Although Apple says a computer will work behind a UPNP router, a TC will NOT.. it has no UPNP built in to open ports.

Get help using Back to My Mac - Apple Support

Go through the list..

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

the following ports must be opened.

443 TCP

500 UDP

1900 UDP

4488 TCP

4500 UDP

5223 TCP

5350 UDP

5351 UDP

5353 UDP

49512-65535 UDP

Not all of these ports are required of course.. that is why it is better to setup the TC to be able to open ports it needs.

There are other methods of remote access than using BTMM.. and simply forwarding AFP to the TC is the best. I think you are confusing or conflating instructions.

AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods)

It appears you are trying to use the Method 3 but not doing it at all correctly..

8888 has nothing to do with either BTMM or AFP. Tesserax chose it as a port to use for translation of the AFP port 548. You have done no port translation. There is nothing in the TC to respond to 8888.. only 548 will work.

And it has nothing to do with BTMM. So leave that off.. do try and use two methods of access over the top of each other. That results in a big mess.

Feb 9, 2016 12:52 PM in response to eduard_p

I was trying to think where you got 8888 from..

Please note I have edited the end of the text in the first post.

I suspect you have tried to use Tesserax notes.. without understanding what you are doing.

I strongly recommend you use 548 direct.. At least as a test. There is really no greatly enhanced security from port translating. AFP is pretty good as is,

The TC should be in bridge.. and you must have a decent disk password. Then simply forward 548 TCP to it.

Feb 9, 2016 1:04 PM in response to eduard_p

OK, I remotelly changed my router setting to 548 External start, end and Internal port, protocol to TCP.

I got error message that problems appeared during connecting server "Airport ..." It is possibel, that the server does not exist or is not awailable. Check name of the server or IP address and connection to the network and try again.

Feb 9, 2016 7:52 PM in response to eduard_p

But by accessing it via TC icon in Finder/Shared I still get the same error as before.

Yes, of course because modern computers (Since Mavericks) Default to SMB networking.. not AFP.

Now when I do via Finder/connect to server afp://my IP:548 it works, I get access to the TC and data on it.

Isn't that what you wanted to achieve??

You cannot use SMB networking.. and BTMM is too limited for when the TC is main router of the network. .it will never work in your setup.

Feb 9, 2016 11:43 PM in response to eduard_p

Back to My Mac works.. only when the TC is the main router of the network.

That means you need to bridge the modem.. and run the TC so it gets the public IP.

You do not need to port forward once you have BTMM working and setup for WAN access. .that is all you need.

This will not work behind another router. (Mostly.. people are reporting the occasional success on a bridged TC.. just to make me have to apply conditional statements.. but in general it doesn't).

Problem with remote access of Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.