Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My display isn't clear on the mac mini when using HDMI with a TV monitor

I've just bought a new Mac Mini, and plugged it into my TV using the HDMI cable. The display doesn't look terribly clear, and the text in particular appears to be very low resolution. Does anyone have any ideas how to alter the settings to improve the quality?

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 1:36 PM

13 replies

Feb 27, 2016 4:31 AM in response to Pflemin1

Is the Underscan turned off in the Display preferences when connected by HDMI. The "smoothing" referred to by Urban Shocker is also called Overscan which usually lets you increase or decrease the size of the image, like Zoom. This needs to be turned off or down also. The "dynamic", "movie" modes are preset color profiles for the picture usually preset to help adjust picture to the viewer without manually adjusting all colors and contrasts etc.

May 8, 2016 4:36 AM in response to Pflemin1

I've been spending some time adjusting the display. It would appear that adjusting the TV's Sharpness control is the answer. Oddly enough, reducing the sharpness level improves the sharpness of the display, which seems counter-intuitive, but it works. Reducing the sharpness to 71% seems to be the optimum level for this particular set. It's still not as good as a Retina display, but then the TV is a lot cheaper, so I guess you get what you pay for!

Oct 1, 2016 9:22 AM in response to Pflemin1

I have a similar problem. The normal mac functions (mail, iMessage, etc.) look fine on "default for this display" but the video, even playing in iTunes is reduced. If I set it ti 1080p or 1080i, the video looks great, but I have trouble reading email and the text in other apps. Is the mac not optimized for HDMI even though it has an HDMI output from the factory?

My display isn't clear on the mac mini when using HDMI with a TV monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.