Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking to buy apple computer for the first time

Hi I am looking to buy a apple desktop or mac mainly for my music collection, I have an external hard drive I work through my windows will I need a new apple mac external hard drive or can I use my existing one with my new apple mac, what do I go for, what hardware will I need, Have been a windows man for years but I am having conflicts with my itunes account so I believe that apple mac would work a lot better, can anyone help, I have a vast collection of music, my external drive is 5TB.

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 2:34 PM

4 replies

Feb 9, 2016 2:44 PM in response to zippywagon

There is an iTunes for Windows forum and to me it would make sense to try to resolve the iTunes issues on the computer you already have. If you do transition to a Mac you will want/need to reformat the drive so it can be used by Macs. Macs can only read NTFS formatted drives unless you purchase special software (and I am not sure how robust such software is as iTunes can be fussy about such interfaces).

Feb 9, 2016 6:17 PM in response to zippywagon

Just some general information... You can get more specific details, when you decide to get a Mac.

Your external drive is probably formatted as NTFS. Macs can read that format, but it is read-only (for the purpose of transferring data to a Mac). Since 5TB is larger than the size of a Mac's internal drive, you'll need to get another external drive that can hold (at least) your iTunes data. Macs can use any standard USB external hard drive, or faster ones that connect using the Thunderbolt port (depending on the Mac model). When you connect it (the new external hard drive) for the first time, you can "erase" it (using the built-in Disk Utility app) to reformat it for Mac, if it is not already formatted for Mac.

Since your external drive is so large, as a first step, you should copy ALL the data you wan to keep to the new Mac-formatted external drive. You can later reformat and "repurpose" the old external drive as the Time Machine backup archive. The extra-large capacity makes it ideal for this purpose. So, getting a new external drive won't be like wasting money. Time Machine is a built-in feature of OS X that keeps your files backed up automatically, every hour that the system is running. If you have a data issue, you can recover specific files or the entire system to the latest backup state, or to any previous saved backup state. Time Machine can back up the Mac's internal drive and external drive, to (another) external drive.

Then, transfer the iTunes data from your Windows PC to the Mac. How you do this depends on how iTunes is currently set up on the Windows PC. If you have your complete iTunes folder (with the iTunes Library database file) on the external drive, copying it to the Mac-formatted external drive does the transfer. If your iTunes folder is on the internal drive of the Windows PC, and only your iTunes Media folder is on the external drive, there are more steps involved in transferring it to the Mac.

The key is to transfer your complete iTunes library to the Mac. If you just transfer your iTunes media files and add them to the Mac's NEW iTunes library, that may actually help resolve your current issues, but you would also lose all of your supporting data, such as playlists, ratings, play count, etc.

Feb 10, 2016 7:50 PM in response to ed2345

Hi thanks for your reply, I currently ungraded to the free windows 10, everything was working great until windows decided to move all my music files from my external drive to my pc c drive, contacted itunes and they said it was some thing that windows did, they helped me transfer the files back to my external drive and it as left short cuts back to my c drive so on itunes library I have 2 and 3 copies of the same song, when you try and delete the copies of this song it make the file go unless you delete all the copies into trash restore 1 of them and double click the restored one that then makes another copy of this file, you then have to delete that leaving the one thats been restored, hope this makes sense, I am having to do this with each and every song file, It's taking me a very long time, I am happy with the set up that I have, it was what the itunes guys said that because I have such an extensive music collection that it would make more sense and be easier for me to control my music on a Mac, He said it was one of the biggest music collection he had seen, they had to keep phoning me back of a period of 3 days for all the music to be transferred back, they took control of my computer from their end. at least this way I can sort out all the rubbish and rename stuff that I had forgot about that had dropped of my library over the years. It's taken me many many years to build up my collection, its just an hobby, lol

Looking to buy apple computer for the first time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.