Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import video 8 from Sony DCR-TRV210E Pal

Hi all,

I'd like to import video from my DCR-TRV210 E Pal (Sony) .

Importing digital Video (with iMovie) works fine.

Importing analog Vidoeo (which I assumed to be converted by the DCR) works:

I can see the video online on my monitor when I start the import.

Finishing the import....: NOTHING (black screen)

There are some files which point to the correct video-name (e.g. "test") but no directory

"Original Media" a.s.o.

Can someone help me, please?

btw.: I am using MAC Pro El Capitan (10.11.3), video comes via fire-wire 400 to fire-wire 800 to Thunderbolt !

OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 9:54 PM

iMovie version 10 requires timecode for import.

Your camcorder produces timecode for digital tape but not for analogue ( Hi8 tape) to digital conversion.

This is the same case when using camcorder in pass-through mode.(analogue input to DV out).

You could try using QuickTime Player to record instead of iMovie ,it is on your Mac.

It does not appear to require timecode for import.

How to use QuickTime Player - Apple Support

Follow the instructions for Record A Movie and select Maximum in the quality setting.

You will then need to import this into iMovie.

Note, that you will not get any scene breaks as you would from digital tape, but one long clip instead which makes it a little bit more tedious to edit.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 9:54 PM in response to ekmi_1954

iMovie version 10 requires timecode for import.

Your camcorder produces timecode for digital tape but not for analogue ( Hi8 tape) to digital conversion.

This is the same case when using camcorder in pass-through mode.(analogue input to DV out).

You could try using QuickTime Player to record instead of iMovie ,it is on your Mac.

It does not appear to require timecode for import.

How to use QuickTime Player - Apple Support

Follow the instructions for Record A Movie and select Maximum in the quality setting.

You will then need to import this into iMovie.

Note, that you will not get any scene breaks as you would from digital tape, but one long clip instead which makes it a little bit more tedious to edit.

Import video 8 from Sony DCR-TRV210E Pal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.