Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble opening large zip archives on PC?

Everytime I try to create a large ZIP archive (over 4GB) on Mac and send to PC, I can't seem to decompress it on the PC side. I have no problems when I make a large zip on a PC and send it to a Mac. It seems as if when a Mac creates a large Zip archive, the headers are non-standard. I work in video production so sending files back and forth between operating systems is just part of the job and working with clients.

I'm using OS X El Capitan and Window 10, both are completely up to date. On the PC side, I've tried using the built in zip viewer, 7-zip, WinZip and even PKZIP (since that's what's listed in OS X's zip man pages) but everything tosses up errors. 7-Zip is the only one that will at least browse the directory but trying to extract a file tosses up the error "0 Unsupported compression method for '<filename>'."

Is there something I'm missing?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 2:45 PM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2016 4:40 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Thanks for the response Templeton!

It's stored on a NTFS volume via a Storage Spaces two-way mirror. I also have MacDrive and I've tried accessing the same zip (and others) off of an HFS+ formatted volume; no luck.

I could understand the drive not being able to handle decompressing if it was FAT formatted due to memory limits, but both of these file systems can otherwise handle large files (and have enough free space). Any other thoughts?

Feb 12, 2016 8:27 AM in response to ChuckBev

ChuckBev:

Since you don't gave too much details I will assume things.

Assuming that the file was transported to the PC in a safe way (talking about FileSystem) and since you have tried with 7zip without success; have you tried peazip (64bits of course; if free http://www.peazip.org/)?.

Have you transferred the file via FTP (for speed; SFTP for security) or even NFS to the PC side to see if there is a problem on the media that you have used?

Lastly but not the final step; which software and which parameters have you used on the Mac Side?

I ask; since I have used 7zip on Sparc® machines to gain 9:1 compression ratios over very big files, and have to tried some parameters combinations to allow the decompression on the Windows® machines using also 7zip.

Trouble opening large zip archives on PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.