Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th Gen Apple TV Wifi Issues

My 4th Generation Apple TV has wifi issues. Everyday when the apple TV goes to sleep it looses wifi credentials OR it does not attach back to my wifi network. I have to use the apple remote to attach back to wifi. I have tried 2.4 and 5 Gz and I see the same issue. I have TVOS 9.1.1 (latest update) from Apple. I even got a apple TV replacement and I still see the same issue.

Called apple care and they asked me to change the channel on my wifi router. Even after changing the channel I still see the same issue.

Things done until now.

1. Changed channel

2. Tried both 2.4 and 5 gz

3. Changed apple TV

4. Have latest TVOS (9.1.1)

Wireless Router Modesl: Asus RT-AC87u. I have 20 other devices that connect to my router without issues. this is the only device that has issues.

Ideas please to resolve the issue.

Apple TV, tvOS 9.1.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:25 PM

26 replies

Mar 14, 2017 4:20 AM in response to SachinWiki

I am sure it is not the network as I have another Apple TV which works fine.

Mine looses connection when going to sleep (not manually going to sleep). Once I restarted it can't find any WIFI (and there are a few of them around me), so it is clearly something with the Apple TV.

When I keep it wake up it works, so to me, it is clearly a problem with Apple TV and nothing related to the network.

Hopefully Apple finds what is it and fixes it.

Mar 14, 2017 5:12 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks Diana for answering.

It is updated to 10.1.1.

The other Apple TV is totally new on 10.1.1 too.

It connects after it restarts automatically. The interesting part is that once it is disconnected you can't reconnect to any wifi, it seems like Wifi is broken or locked and no way to find anything.

Regarding the position in my house, I switched both and the problem persists. So it is not a network coverage.

Sep 16, 2017 2:47 PM in response to vazandrew

I changed my home network by setting 2 WiFi networks; one with Apple TC and one with original HUAWEI router supplied by my internet service provider VODAFONE. I connected the ATV4 directly to the HUAWEI, while all other devices connect to the Apple TC (in bridge mode). So far, stable connection without any problem.

Apparently I solved the problem!

Feb 10, 2016 3:30 AM in response to vazandrew

I too have issues with 4th Gen AppleTV on Wifi network that started sometime in January. Prior to that it all appeared to be working fine, and with no changes to the network, and everything else working fine, so strongly suspect a software update sometime in January on the 4th Gen AppleTV triggered the issue. Do you by chance over other Apple TVs on your network????

The symptoms of my issue is that the 4th Gen AppleTV was not able to maintain a connection on the Wifi network. It would connect, but soon drop out. I am using Cisco WLC 2504 controller and Cisco 3702 access points. The controller reported :-

Client Excluded: MACAddress:c8:69:cd:3e:1c:c2 Base Radio MAC :08:17:35:9d:b7:70 Slot: 1 User Name: unknown Ip Address: 192.168.10.72 Reason:Attempted to use IP Address assigned to another device. ReasonCode: 3

c8:69:cd:3e:1c:c2 is the MAC address of my 4th Gen Apple TV, HOWEVER, it is getting an IP address of 192.168.10.133 from DHCP (as seen

Normally this would suggest IP address conflicts, however, in this case there is no conflict. I have done a packet capture and the issue seems to be that the Gen 4 AppleTV is sending out gratuitous arp's from the IP address of another Gen 3 apple TV I have. Because of this the Cisco WLC thinks there is an address conflict and excludes the client. I have no idea why the Gen 4 AppleTV is sending gratuitous arp for another IP address. Not sure if this is a bug, or some mechanism Apple is trying to spoof the other apple TV's???? But whatever it is, is causing the issue an needs to be fixed.

For reference, I have 3 Gen 3 Apple TVs as well as the Gen 4 apple TV on the network. If I turn the Gen3 AppleTV off that is using the IP address listed (192.168.10.72), the Gen 4 Apple TV seems to work better for a small period of time, however, before too long the problem happens again, but this time with 1 of the other Gen 3 apple TVs that are still on.

Does anyone have a fix for this issue. Can a bug be raised with apple to fix the issue?

Feb 10, 2016 2:35 PM in response to vazandrew

The problem would not be caused by multiple AppleTVs alone. It appears to be caused by a combination of both :-

1. AppleTV 4th Gen sending gratuitous arp's from the IP address of another appleTV, AND

2. Network device that does mitigation for duplicate IP addresses / hack prevention etc, which see the gratuitous arp from IP already on the network as malicious, and excludes the client. In my case, the appleTV are on Cisco 2504 WLC. Cisco WLC are enterprise wireless solutions with these sorts of features to protect the network.

I am guessing I am experiencing the issue because I am using AppleTVs in a business environment with enterprise equipment rather than home based environment. As such it is the enforcement of network protections that is catching out any anomalous network behavior on the AppleTV.

I don't believe it is likely that this is any sort of hardware fault. So it is unlikely investigation at the apple store will show anything wrong, unless someone can duplicate the conditions (multiple apple TV and wireless that detects spoofing attempts).

At a guess, I am it might be some sort of attempt by apple to continue to advertise Airplay details for other devices that might be asleep (wild guess here)??

Anyway, is there anyone that can suggest the best way to raise this with apple (suspect someone involved with the software development will pretty quickly know what this is all about).

4th Gen Apple TV Wifi Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.