Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need--not want--need to revert to iCloud from iCloud Drive.

I'm having serious issues with compatibility from my mac and my iPad all because I foolishly accepted to upgrade to iCloud Drive from my Iphone. I've heard a few people say that you are given a warning that there will be repercussions (repercussion being a more literal term to Apple's mitigating phraseology) in upgrading on the newest IOS while other devices are on an old OS and iOS, but I received no warning. It just got on with it. The only reason I upgraded to iCloud drive on my 4s was so that I could just send one of my documents as an attachment, now the edits won't even appear on the older devices. I've got to send them back and fourth through attachments which get lost in a slough of other attachments.

I have files on both my iPad and Mac which need to be synced often and now they can't because of this, frankly, deplorable upgrade. The only "upgrade" iCloud Drive is giving me is the now necessary decision to upgrade my older devices to the newer operating system so they can slow to a halt - encouraging me to drop my old devices and purchase newer more faster models - fulfilling Apples corporate cash cow life cycle. I shouldn't have to sacrifice my devices performance just so I can access my documents. I'm tired of being told that "this is better for your device, trust us" when in fact they really mean, "This is better for our business."

I can't be the only one here who has an issue with these marketing tactics. Does anyone know how to revert back to original iCloud so I can sync my files from my iPad to my mac and vice versa?

An easy solution to this problem would be to just bite the bullet, upgrade and slow my devices for the sake of compatibility, but I'm not going to.

An easy solution to this problem would be to set up another apple ID, but then I'd have to buy all my apps again (not to mention the total hassle this causes}.

An easy solution would be to just stop using apple devices, but I'm not going to. Apple are good, stellar developers who create great quality devices and clearly know what they're doing; it's just a pity everyone else behind these products are trying to find new and inventive ways to hang us by the ankles and see what falls out.

I understand that Apple is a company - it needs to sell products to make money, to pay wages, to develop new products and innovate, but they should not have to resort to trickery and schemes to move product out the factory door. If their new product is good enough, it'll sell itself.

Anyway, please, somebody. Help me revert to good 'ol regular iCloud, which works on all my devices and doesn't compromise device quality.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:50 PM

13 replies

Feb 11, 2016 3:03 AM in response to megamorph

All you said is right. It should be revertible but It's not. I really can understand why new tech is not compatible with old tech and Apple really apply this.

As an advice, you could migrate your documents to Dropbox, so all your devices would sync your documents, not matter the iOS or OS X version.

I'm having serious trouble with iCloud Drive too: I have one device that simply do not download the files. Trying to figure out what to do.

Dec 30, 2016 8:56 AM in response to megamorph

Apple wants to eliminate us from the fold. We keep our devices in good condition and they last. Now they want to make everything to fail within a couple of years so we are forced to upgrade. There are no morals in big business anymore. It's - submit and conform or loose your ability to keep using the device. It's the real Apple Virus, Spam and Hack - disabling our devices for profit.

Dec 30, 2016 9:30 AM in response to LACAllen

Ranting is not my goal. Figuring out a way to sync my business computer with my other devices WITHOUT allowing an specific iCloud account to TAKE OVER my business computer, documents and other devices, forcing me to submit and conform.

Current situation, after 20+ years of using apple products, still trying to set up a business email account with contacts and calendars. Don't want a gaming account. Don't want a messaging account. Don't want to share with all my friends. Don't want to import all my social media. Don't want to do anything other than set up a computer and KEEP my data on my device or cloud of my choice, without having iCloud take over and remove my ability to conduct business with ALL my Apple devices the way I WANT to do so. Submit and conform if you wish - I need a practical business use that is set up for professionals, NOT 16 year old school girls. Said - "Rant" - Over.

Dec 30, 2016 9:53 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

That only works for a while - god forbid you forget and log into the wrong iCloud for any reason. it then combines the two as an alias and then your really screwed. So wish I had the ability to use my private account on my private devises and access information on my business computer without combining everything into one identity - looking for a new product/app that can get information and share information with apple iCloud without being taken over by iCloud and reconfigured or merged.

Dec 30, 2016 10:13 AM in response to gail from maine

Gail, wait until/when you have to upgrade your phones. I too have an iPad 1 and an iPhone 4 I also have a Mac I purchased in 2011 and one in 2009. However, additionally, I have two iMacs with Sierra operating systems. I have an iPhone 5, iPhone 6+, iPhone 7+ and two other iPads all with different users and scenarios - Business vs Personal. Try adding/sharing files and documents - not to mention adding a simple contacts/calendar or email account - Impossible. The operating systems are set up for the latest iPhone, not for desktop - laptop or centralized business-use. Not all of us conduct business on a 2 x 4 inch screen and with only one user and one account. For you it is not necessary and your scenario - is perfect. For me, business use is no longer practical with Apple. Those of us who invested in Apple for business use, have been left behind.

Dec 30, 2016 1:08 PM in response to AkPaparazzi

Actually, my 2011 Mac is running Sierra, and it is the device I use most. I also have an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 7, both running iOS 10. I have no issue sharing my data between my devices and my Mac using iCloud and iCloud Drive. If you have multiple iCloud accounts that you need to share Calendar data with, you can do so via Family Sharing. Set up a Business Apple ID with a business Credit Card.

I'm not sure what point you are making, since your first post seemed to be about planned obsolescence, and your second one about sharing information among many users.

With Yosemite, the Notes app was updated, which requires the same updated Notes among all devices in order to sync via iCloud, but again, not sure what the other issues you are referring to are. I have created new Apple IDs to test adding email accounts to my devices and Mac, and have never had any issues. I use Family Sharing to share media between my original Apple ID and my primary one. I use iCloud Drive and can see everything on it on all of my devices.

Perhaps if you specifically tell us what issues you are having, we might be able to provide you with some help.

GB

Dec 30, 2016 2:55 PM in response to gail from maine

So Gail, let me try to understand what you are saying. Now you have an iPhone 5s and an iPhone 7 on the same network as your iPhone 4 and your husbands iPhone 4 as well as his iPhone 4s - all these on multiple iClouds? Sharing the same contacts? Wow, I thought I had it ruff with all my business phones. I have no desire to have a different iCloud account for every device I own. I can barely manage two. I tried the second "business iCloud" and shared it as a family. Now everywhere I go online or otherwise is asking me if I "want to share this with my Family" or which account would you like to access your Family or yours? I only have one account and have nothing to share but that one account.

1. When I use my personal Phone I want to access all my contacts in my email.

2. When I use my office desktop I want to access all my contacts in my email.

3. When I am checking in a new client on my iPad I want to create a new contact in my iCloud account from the register.

4. When I am using the accounting computer I want to access my clients in my iCloud and sent the date to my accountant listed in my contacts on my iPhone.

5. When my staff are using their business phones I want to be able to share contacts, calendars and documents with them and allow them to update our business contacts and documents no matter what device they are using.

6. I do no want ANY app - iMessage - FaceTime - gameplay or any other app or setting associated with my iCloud to force itself on any of my devices WITHOUT my permission.

Bottom Line I want to set up and share content the way I want to set it up and share.

You are correct about obsolescence, it would benefit me greatly to use iCloud for contacts, mail, photos and even documents. But I don't want all the baggage that comes with. I cannot use the product the way I want to use it. I wish I could. Planned in-deed - its not for me, unless I can set it up the way I want it to work not the way Apple wants to stuff me into a cookie cutter.

Gail, any thoughts on a business office tool that can share contact - email - documents and photos with my iCloud WITHOUT merging/controlling the items all ready associated with my other devices. The notes on the contacts and other devices were simply destroyed and I never got them back. Apple forced me to add them to a separate program with the many upgrades over time. Sad that we are, yes Gail, FORCED to submit and conform so apple can control our devices for profit.

I need--not want--need to revert to iCloud from iCloud Drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.