Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IP Address is sending spam. Need spyware software for MacBook

My internet provider sent an email saying my IP address was sending out SPAM. They suggested I put a SPAM filter on my MacBook Pro. I don't know which one I should use.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:34 PM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2016 3:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the reply Grant. I called the ISP after I received the email and they said my account did show it had been blocked for excessive emails. They basically said someone had hijacked my IP address and were sending out SPAM on it. They reinstated my account and told me I probably needed to run a spyware removal on my system. I have no idea which one to use. I may not be describing it properly. I just need something to remove the problem they said.

Feb 9, 2016 4:01 PM in response to Mimshelm

There is so little chance that your computer is infected with password-stealing malware that trying to check for it would be a waste of time. If you want to check anyway, you need the services of a consultant in forensic computing. Running any kind of commercial "anti-malware" software is worse than doing nothing. All such software is useless.

In almost every case, this kind of incident has one of the following causes:

1. Account data was compromised by someone to whom you knowingly disclosed it.
  2. The service provider had an internal security breach that it either doesn't know about or is trying to blame on its customers.
  3. You set a weak password that someone was able to guess, or you chose weak security questions, or you used the same password for more than one account.
  4. You fell for a phishing scam and the password was stolen.

Change the password to a random string of at least 10 characters, and never use that password for anything else. Any password that you can remember is too weak. If there are security questions on the account, the answers should also be random strings, and you have to make sure you don't lose them.

Feb 10, 2016 8:29 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks a bunch Grant. I think that is what they were telling me (that someone gets your IP address then sends thing out looking like it is you. I just don't know what if anything I can do about it. I got 3 more of those emails from them during the night stating that I was sending out too many emails. I don't want them to block my account again. It is such a hassle to get it unblocked. Thanks again for the help.

IP Address is sending spam. Need spyware software for MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.