Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery draining overnight

I recently purchased a iPhone 5s 16GB from Virgin Mobile and for the last few days I've noticed that the battery has been draining drastically overnight. The other night I charged the phone before going to bed and I put it on Low Power Mode overnight. When I woke up in the morning the battery was down to 75%. This has happened about a few times the last few days. Anyone knows what's causing this?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 5:39 PM

10 replies

Feb 10, 2016 6:33 AM in response to OriginalName022

OriginalName022 wrote:

It is good practice to turn your phone off and on after you finish charging it. I have noticed this with every phone I've had (not just iPhones). The battery may drain seemingly uncontrollably if you never turn it off.

This is not, and never has been, recommended practice for any phone by any expert. Although there's no harm in it, don't misrepresent it as something it's not.

Feb 10, 2016 7:17 AM in response to OriginalName022

OriginalName022 wrote:

It is good practice to turn your phone off and on after you finish charging it. I have noticed this with every phone I've had (not just iPhones). The battery may drain seemingly uncontrollably if you never turn it off.

I never turn my phone off, and it never drains uncontrollably. It doesn't do any harm to turn it off, but there's no benefit either unless you have a poorly written application that must be shut down periodically (turning off the phone tells all apps to shut down, which is why you see a spinning wheel for a few seconds after turning it off).

Feb 10, 2016 7:57 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I did not mean to present this information as an ultimate solution to the problem. I am new here and have usually only given technical advice in conversation instead of providing a full explanation upfront. For some people, never turning off their phone may make minor issues appear greater than they are. Battery issues are extremely common and restarting may allow the user to more accurately assess just how bad it is. I have noticed in many cases, including my own, that restarting may cause the battery to discharge at a more acceptable rate, and while it may not truly solve the problem, it can make it more manageable. Thank you and Meg for informing me that my advice was not read as I intended, I now know that I need to explain on here.

Feb 10, 2016 12:42 PM in response to OriginalName022

OriginalName022 wrote:

.I have noticed in many cases, including my own, that restarting may cause the battery to discharge at a more acceptable rate, and while it may not truly solve the problem, it can make it more manageable.

Turning off the phone most likely killed a rogue process that was draining the battery. However, if the app that's spawning that process is still being used, it will keep happening. So, while turning the phone off gets rid of the symptom for a while, it doesn't really solve the problem. It does provide some limited diagnostic information.

Battery draining overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.