Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MacBook Pro is better for me?

Im about to get a college degree and Im starting my professional career. I want to buy a computer that really helps me. I work with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Final Cut, Audacity, DaVinci. Many times I use them at the same time, so they are all open at once.

Do you think it is better to go for the most expensive MacBook Pro, or maybe some of the other will be enough?

Thank you

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 5:37 PM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2016 6:08 PM in response to GuidoF09

First you need to decide what size Macbook Pro you want.

Do you want a 13" which will be easier to carry in your backpack or do you want a 15" which will give you more screen space.

If you go with the 13", it is not available with a dGPU (Dedicated Graphic Processing Unit). Also the 13" uses the Core i5 processor which has a dual core.

The 15" Macbook Pro uses the i7 processor which is a quad core and much faster even at the same speed.

Personally I would look to get the most RAM you can afford as well as the largest hard drive, because they are not user upgradeable, and assuming you will have your computer for 5 years or so, this may become important later.

I currently have a 13" macbook pro, early 2011 and am planning on upgrading to a 15" in a few months. I mostly use my computer at home.

Feb 9, 2016 7:15 PM in response to GuidoF09

To summarize and add to what has been said (OK, *MY* spin on what was said, but still ...)

MBPs are light ans thin Retina models with no optical drive. They are meant to be opened only by Apple ... other than that and the warranty is almost certainly void as well as all future service refused by Apple.

15 in models are bigger than 13 in models, weigh a bit more, cost more. Decide if 13 inch is too small or 15 in is too heavy.

RAM is soldered to the logic board. Get as much as you can afford when you buy it. Especially if you will ever run a virtual machine package like VirtualBox or Parallels ... those dedicate a block of the physical RAM for the running VM image.

SSD is not intended to be upgraded by end-users. Maybe in the future you can get the right SSDs, maybe after all warranty is passed, maybe. Buy the SSD size you think you *will* need later.

Make a decision that fits both budget and needs.

Which MacBook Pro is better for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.