Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to restore an unlocked iphone 6 plus

My brother passed away in December 😟 I inherited his iPhone 6 plus, I went into the carrier and paid a fee for them to unlock it so that I can use it under my carrier. According to the receipt, the phone has been registered to be unlocked but I'm running into troubles when I connect it to iTunes. The phone was passcode protected and I do not have access to his password to get into it, the phone is in 'disabled' mode. I've tried holding down the home and power buttons and it shows the 'connect to iTunes' symbol, I've connected to iTunes and choose restore mode. ITunes then says that it is downloading software for the iPhone 6 and after several minutes it says that it is unsuccessful. Any tips, tricks or advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 5:02 PM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2016 5:22 PM in response to jacyntha

jacyntha wrote:

I'll bring in his death certificate, but I already paid the carrier to unlock the device so it seems odd that I'd have to get Apple to unlock it as well. 😟

The carrier does not have the ability to remove the activation lock. They remove the lock that prevents you from using other carriers. That's completely separate.

I suggest that you also bring evidence that you are, in fact, the heir.

Feb 9, 2016 5:38 PM in response to jacyntha

Different unlocks. The carrier unlocks it from their network, but the can't unlock Activation Lock, which is under Apple's control. iCloud: Find My iPhone Activation Lock

There's another option. If you know his Apple ID (which is probably his email) and enough about him to answer his security questions, go to https://iforgot.apple.com and you may be able to reset his password. If so you can then log in to https://icloud.com/find with those credentials and remove the phone from the account.

Trying to restore an unlocked iphone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.