Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac G5

iMac G5: I have just reinstalled the original OS X discs, and need to upgrade beyond 10.3.6.

How do I do that? I was running something higher before, now the Apple homepage displays are messed up.

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 6:47 PM

A G5 iMac is a PPC based machine. These forums are for Intel based machines. Please re-post in the iMac (PPC) forum.

2 replies

Feb 9, 2016 7:28 PM in response to cdnkat

Any upgrades will likely require purchased retail version discs. These are not easy to find and you will have to look on places such as Craigslist, ebay, special vendors, etc. Do not get grey colored discs which came with another computer as these will not install on a different model.

Some computers made just before a system upgrade was released can take special upgrade discs. Whether or not Apple still has these for a G5 is another matter. Get more information about your computer and check specifications on the everymac.com web site.

I believe 10.3.9 was the highest version in the Panther range and you can update using a Combo updater download from the downloads section of the Apple web site.

imac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.