Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why have i lost all imported CDs from my iTunes Library

I have lost all my imported CDs and all Playlists from my iTunes library painstakingly compiled over years of effort. Over 110GB of music disappeared overnight when I upgraded software at the end of 2015. How can I get these back without starting the entire process over again? The only thing remaining in my Library is the Purchased Playlist. Can anyone help, please? Thank you.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), iOS 9.2.1, iPad2, iPhone6, laptop Windows10

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:16 PM

On some occasions your iTunes library database may be affected by an iTunes update - no-one seems to know exactly why, though its been suggested that it may be the result of a conflict between the iTunes installer and some anti-virus software or other processes that are monitoring changes to files on your PC (such as Windows' own indexing service). The content of your library, i.e., the media files and folders, should be unaffected, but without a working database file iTunes doesn't have any information about or links to these files.

To restore your library to a working state (which may not necessarily be as it was immediately prior to installing the update) see turingtest2's user tip on Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. For future reference, you should create and maintain a backup of your iTunes library, and always update your backup before installing iTunes update. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suitable/recommended method.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 7:16 PM in response to Glynncommando66

On some occasions your iTunes library database may be affected by an iTunes update - no-one seems to know exactly why, though its been suggested that it may be the result of a conflict between the iTunes installer and some anti-virus software or other processes that are monitoring changes to files on your PC (such as Windows' own indexing service). The content of your library, i.e., the media files and folders, should be unaffected, but without a working database file iTunes doesn't have any information about or links to these files.

To restore your library to a working state (which may not necessarily be as it was immediately prior to installing the update) see turingtest2's user tip on Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. For future reference, you should create and maintain a backup of your iTunes library, and always update your backup before installing iTunes update. See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a suitable/recommended method.

Why have i lost all imported CDs from my iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.