Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing 10.5 with broken cd drive

Hi! I have an iMac G5 20in that I bought used recently. I really want to update to 10.5, but my cd drive is broken. Can someone help, I need it for a school project. I need it to be able to run a newer version of iMovie and GarageBand. I also need a newer version of iWork. Thank you so much!

iMac G5-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 6:37 PM

Do you have a Leopard (10.5.x) installation disc, even if the Mac's optical drive is broken? Do you have access to another Mac, that has a working optical drive?

iLife (with iMovie and GarageBand) was a separately sold software package. So was iWork. You'll also need those installation discs.

9 replies

Feb 9, 2016 10:21 PM in response to Sam Crist

Anyway, you need -

1. Retail package of Mac OS X Leopard - get new one from somewhere

( an example on amazon )

Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5.6 Leopard (OLD VERSION)

2. Retail package of iLife '09, which includes iMovie and Garageband. - there are newer version but they run on intel mac only.

ref - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILife

( an example on amazon )

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MB966Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B0014X5XEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U TF8&qid=1455082316&sr=8-1&keywords=ilife…

Installation of OS X needs to boot from CD drive but you said it's broken on your mac.

So, you need an external CD drive with Firewire interface if you cannot get it repaired.

Only intel Mac can boot from drive on USB ( as far as I know ).

By the way, for license term, you get legal license only if you have original installer media, as noted by Kenichi Watanabe.

Here is copy from Software License Agreement for OS X Snow Leopard ( sorry, I could not find one for Leopard or Tiger, but I guess it is the same )

https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend, sell, redistribute or sublicense the Apple Software. Subject to the restrictions set forth below, you may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software (in its original form as provided by Apple) to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts (excluding Apple Boot ROM code and firmware), original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. You may not rent, lease, lend, redistribute, sublicense or transfer any Apple Software that has been modified or replaced under Section 2H above. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications. Apple Software provided with a particular Apple-branded hardware product may not run on other models of Apple-branded hardware.

I hope this can be your help.

installing 10.5 with broken cd drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.