Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4S without sim card, wifi no longer works.

I went to access the web on my sim-less iPhone 4s and it no longer will connect to my intranet or internet. There is no mac address for wifi, the wifi switch is grayed out. I saw Apple's official response (reset network) and that did nt work (tried that several times). Wanted to let my kids use this old phone for the web and as a home Skype phone. Does anyone know of a real fix?

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 6:51 PM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2016 6:35 AM in response to jea333

Hi jea333,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue with your iPhone. It sounds like you have been on the right track in your troubleshooting. From your description, it sounds like you have probably already seen this article, but just in case, you may find the following article regarding greyed out WiFi on an iPhone helpful, including the recommendation to contact Apple Support directly if the iOS update and network reset don't resolve the issue:

If Wi-Fi is grayed out or dim on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Regards

Feb 11, 2016 7:57 AM in response to brenden dv

Thanks Brenden, I tried to restore but it won't let me with"find my iPhone" selected and I can't de-select without signing into iCloud which I can't do because I have no wifi access on the phone this is all the problem if trying to restore from iTunes. I accessed my iCloud account on my MacBook and de-selected this device from the "find my iPhone" section but iTunes will still not restore it (probably because the iPhone itself is unaffected by any changes outside of direct input or through iTunes?).

Feb 11, 2016 6:18 PM in response to jea333

iPhone 4s with grayed out WiFi is a very common issue. It is a failure of the WiFi chip on the board. Every device has its "signature problems" and for the 4s bad WiFi chip over time is at the top of the list. You can get a few more weeks out of it with a DIY hack "repair" by putting some heat on the chip---you can google this if you want to go that route, but I do not consider that a repair and the problem will just come back.

Replacement of the WiFi chip is possible, but it is hard to find anyone to do it for less than the price of a good condition 4s online. I no longer offer 4s WiFi chip replacement for mail in board repair, although we used to do it all the time.

best of luck.

iPhone 4S without sim card, wifi no longer works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.