Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing Time Machine Backup

Up until recently, I have been using my Time Capsule to store my Time Machine Backups. The backup file (Sparse Disk Image Bundle) is located in a partition named 'Data'. I also have approximately 130GB of other data files stored on this same partition. I recently purchased a separate 1TB drive that I am dedicating for the sole purpose of housing my Time Machine Backups. I plan to use the Time Capsule for housing my other data files. I need to know how to permanently remove my old Time Machine Backup file from my Time Capsule. I would prefer not to have to erase the entire disk as this will cause me to have to temporarily move the 130GB of data off of the time capsule and then back on to it after I erase it. How should I go about deleting the Time Machine Backup file so that I can recapture the space on the disk?

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:18 PM

1 reply

Feb 9, 2016 7:42 PM in response to marcvH

How should I go about deleting the Time Machine Backup file so that I can recapture the space on the disk?

Open up "Data"

Click on the sparsebundle file to highlight it

Click the gear icon above the window

Click Move To Trash

If you have been using El Capitan (10.11.x) or Yosemite (10.10.x) the file will be deleted in a few minutes. If you are using an earlier operating system, it will take much longer for the file to delete.

Removing Time Machine Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.