Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to delete movies from mac/itunes/i don't know.

Trying to delete movies from mac/itunes/i don't know. Im trying to clear space on my hard drive so I've been deleting the movies i bought off iTunes . Ive tried going in to iTunes account>purchased>clicking on the top left hand corner x. Ive tried going into the movie and deleting it there and sending the file to trash and I've deleted the trash when the movies have been in there. Yet everytime i log in they re download even though they aren't showing in my purchased. If anyone know anything else to try please help me. thanks

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:27 PM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2016 8:30 PM in response to nushie22

Under account>Purchased is only your purchase history. Nothing there is stored on your computer, nor is it taking up any storage space on your computer.. It is simply a list of your past purchases from which you could redownload if you were to wish to do so in the future.

You cannot delete anything from your Purchase history, nor do you need to.

Feb 10, 2016 7:35 PM in response to nushie22

Purchased movies (and TV shows) may still appear in your iTunes library because they can be streamed from Apple's servers (iCloud) without the video files being stored on your computer's drive. To check, show your Movies library in the iTunes window (click Movies button at left end of horizontal bar). Near middle of horizontal bar, click My Movies. At right end of horizontal bar, use control to show library using the Movie List view. Your My Movies list (with your purchased movies) is shown as a plain list with columns.

You can sort this list by clicking on the heading of the column to sort by; for example, click on Name to sort by movie name. If the iCloud Download column is hidden, make it visible; this column is narrow, with a cloud symbol in the heading. Right-click the heading row to show/hide columns. You can move columns (left/right) by dragging column by its heading. I like to put the iCloud Download column next to the Name column. You may also want to make the iCloud Status column visible.

If the iCloud Download column has a cloud with down-arrow symbol, it means that movie is not stored locally. The iTunes library is accessing the video file (if you play that movie) from iCloud. Therefore, it is not taking up any space on your computer's drive. But you can still play it by streaming from iCloud.

To free up additional space, you only need to look at movies that do not have a cloud with down-arrow symbol. If it's a Purchased item, right-click it and select Remove Download (not Delete). The movie remains on the list, now with a cloud with down-arrow symbol. If there is no Remove Download command (only Delete) for a movie, that is an item you cannot re-download, so you may not want to Delete it (unless you don't want it anymore).

Feb 11, 2016 9:24 PM in response to nushie22

I am having the same problem and none of the answers here are addressing our problem. I purchased all of the harry potter movies for my kids and DO NOT want them all downloading onto my computer. But EVERY TIME I purchase anything subsequently, ALL of the harry potter movies start auto-downloading to my computer in addition to whatever new purchase I have made. I pause and "delete" the harry potter downloads but the next time my iTunes "checks for available downloads," there they are AGAIN. I want to make this stop!

Trying to delete movies from mac/itunes/i don't know.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.