Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 MacBook Pro 13 or 2015 MacBook Pro 13 with Retina Display

I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro 13 inches, and Best Buy (Sacramento, CA) has a deal for 2012 MacBook Pros. I am wondering which to buy.

What I use it for: scholarly research, web browsing, itunes, watch videos on Netflix and online. There is no graphic/art or gaming needs. I also don't download any app unless I need them and I can't get them on my phone.

What I hope to have: fairly good battery (7 hours for 2012 seems to be good enough), fairly fast system (old pc was 2.27GHz and I was fairly satisfied), storage as large as possible, and the expectation that I can still use it as long as possible. I know MacBook Pros are legendary for quality and long lasting, but better RAM and processor may mean it can run "normal" longer.

Specs for the MacBooks:

2012 MacBook Pro:

Intel Core i5 Processor, Intel HD 4000 Graphics, 5400 rpm SATA hard drive, up to 7 hours of battery life, 802.11 n wi-fi, multi-touch trackpads.

Processor speed 2.5 GHz, Memory 4GB, Storage 500 GB.

2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 256 GB:

Intel Core i5 Processor, Intel Iris Graphics 6100, Flash storage, up to 10 hours of battery life, 802.11 ac wi-fi, force touch trackpad.

Processor speed 2.7GHz, Memory 8GB, Storage 256GB

(The heavier weight doesn't bother me)

NOTE:

Please also consider that, with a much larger storage in the previous model, the MacBook speed gap is a bit less than what the specs may suggest, and the question is, does the 4GB extra Memory and 0.2 extra GHz still make a significant difference even if the older model has 244GB more storage space?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 8:50 PM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2016 4:11 AM in response to hlnwazqh

You should first look at the two units side by side and determine if the differences in the displays are important are important to you (retina vs non-retina).

After that, understand that with the non-retina MBP, you have the option of increasing both RAM to 16 GB and the storage to 2 TB (HDD or SSD) at a later date. In the retina, the RAM can never be changed, the SSD can (at great expense).

The decision is yours.

Ciao.

2012 MacBook Pro 13 or 2015 MacBook Pro 13 with Retina Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.