Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule assigned IP but no internet

I'm in a two story house where the wireless network can't extend between the lower and upper floors, so I bought an additional TC A1470 in addition to my express A1392 to hook up via a 25 meter ethernet cable from my router to the upper floor.

When I hook up the time capsule in bridge mode it get's an IP assigned to it from the router, but doesn't receive an internet connection. I can't even go to the router IP.

When I hook up the express in bridge mode everything is great. Low latency connection to the router with no lost packets.

When either one is put in via a short 2m cable they work fine as well, although the TC doesn't seem to want to put out 5GHz when I tell it to.

Have tried cycling the router while the TC is hooked up to no avail. If I move the ethernet cable between one and the other the express instantly picks it up.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 8:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 1:19 AM

From what you have described the router downstairs is another Time Capsule, is that right?

In bridge the TC can work better with the ethernet plugged into LAN port instead of WAN.. did you try that??

Next I suspect your 25M ethernet cable is not good.. if it works on a 2M patch cable, there is a chance the 25M is made out of stranded wire.. this wrong.. the code for ethernet (full gigabit) is max 5M of stranded cable.. the rest should be solid core.

It might work on the express because it only has 100mbit ports.. the TC with gigabit ports fails because it is trying to get gigabit speed but fails.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 1:19 AM in response to SolomonKS

From what you have described the router downstairs is another Time Capsule, is that right?

In bridge the TC can work better with the ethernet plugged into LAN port instead of WAN.. did you try that??

Next I suspect your 25M ethernet cable is not good.. if it works on a 2M patch cable, there is a chance the 25M is made out of stranded wire.. this wrong.. the code for ethernet (full gigabit) is max 5M of stranded cable.. the rest should be solid core.

It might work on the express because it only has 100mbit ports.. the TC with gigabit ports fails because it is trying to get gigabit speed but fails.

Feb 10, 2016 12:18 PM in response to SolomonKS

When you reach 25M of cable you MUST use solid core cable, which is designed for in the wall installation as it is not flexible like stranded cable.

If there was some controls for speed it would be possible to set speed exactly. Apple routers lost this ability. One of the many new features of v6 airport utility was to remove the ability to connect to speed of the ethernet ports.

On your ISP router however you might still have access to the LAN port actual speed.. Set it to 100mbit full duplex. NOT AUTO. You can find a 25M stranded cable works perfectly as long as you don't force it to gigabit.

Note also if the cable is made up for you, not purchased as a patch cable. Pairs in the ethernet cable must be perfect. Break the pairs and you will stop getting connection. Here is a typical post where the broken pairs came into play.

Macbook won't connect to Internet over long cable?

Time capsule assigned IP but no internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.