Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I burn an ISO to USB without using the command line?

This might be the last straw that makes me switch away from OSX!

El Capitan removed the ability to burn ISO to disk in the Disk Utility app (and don't get me started on that new Disk Utility, if Steve was still alive, whoever was responsible for that piece of crap would have been fired on the spot, and probably punched in the head a few times too!)

Now we're supposed to right click on the ISO in the finder and choose "Burn disk image ...". But the "Burn Disk" window that pops only has the option to burn to the Superdrive. I see no way to change it to burn to a USB drive (which is visible in the new horrible and disgustingly bad Disk Utility).

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2017 12:29 PM

This is a terrible terrible answer.

The most common use case for an ISO is a bootable image (linux or bsd), which requires a bit-for-bit copy of the internal file system. Just mounting the ISO and copying the files onto an HFS-formatted USB stick will not work.

25 replies

Apr 7, 2017 3:16 PM in response to Bebias

El Capitan removed the ability to burn ISO to disk in the Disk Utility app

I don't know where you got that ideal. Just Control (right) - click on the .iso file and select Burn Disc Image"xxxx" to Disc... from the contextual menu.

User uploaded file

It is recommended that in boring a video DVD one burn at the slowest speed possible to get the more error free disc.

User uploaded file

Apr 7, 2017 11:30 AM in response to Drew Reece

Etcher is beautiful! Thanks for pointing this one out.

In my case, I'm on a Mac and am trying to create a bootable Windows USB to repair a friend's laptop (all jokes welcome!). When I tried doing this in Etcher, it actually directed me to use Rufus, which worked great for me, but it's a Windows app, so you need to have Bootcamp/Parallels, or an actual Windows machine at hand.

Thanks for the link. I spent a lot of time finding a solution and Etcher pointed me in the right direction!

Jan 7, 2018 11:04 AM in response to Barney-15E

True, I don't have an optical drive (though I am planning on buying one and hope I can burn to DVD using it). However, this conversation never made it clear as to what the "USB drive" actually was. Did the OP mean an external DVD drive or did he mean a USB stick? Based on the answers, it could have been either. My original assumption was that he was talking about a stick, though I see where I could have gone wrong. Just another question without enough information to provide a satisfactory answer.

Feb 10, 2016 11:27 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

You don't "burn" a USB drive, you copy files onto it. Burning is for optical media.

Double-click the .iso and it should mount. Then copy the files from it onto the USB stick.

Good point Barney-15E, I read 'USB drive' & assumed Bebias was talking about a USB external optical drive, it probably isn't the case.

Bebias, please tell us what the purpose of the .iso is - if it is for making a bootable OS from Linux or similar Barney-15E's suggestion will fail to work. iso files contain the filesystem structure which is lost if you simply copy via the Finder, it breaks booting & features that require that partition structure. You would need to manually create the correct file system for it to work before copying.

You can use 'dd' to write the image in Terminal. The Raspberry Pi foundation has a reasonable explanation on that topic, replace the sdcard with your USB disk.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/mac.md

Disk Utility can still restore volumes on 10.11…

Disk Utility (El Capitan): Restore a disk image to a disk

It may not work with your .iso, I have had mixed success with certain .iso files, some really need to be burned to CD/ DVD to boot a computer.

Feb 11, 2016 7:44 PM in response to Drew Reece

I still call it "burning" for a flash drive. If you want to be really technical, when writing to a flash memory, you ARE burning it. But that's being pedantic.

Anyway, to answer your question, I want to write a bootable ISO (hence the whole point of an ISO file) to a USB flash drive without using the terminal, I know all about the ways to burn it using the terminal, but I used to be able to do it easily with the disk utility and now I can't,

Since lately I have been so disgruntled with OSX, I am using this as a litmus test to decide if I switch away from it.

Feb 11, 2016 8:28 PM in response to Bebias

Did you read all of my post and follow the link?

Drew Reece wrote:

Disk Utility can still restore volumes on 10.11…

Disk Utility (El Capitan): Restore a disk image to a disk

A disk image is effectively the same as an .iso, however I have not always been able to boot from an .iso written by Disk Utility - in fact some won't even write via Disk Utility.

The feature you want is called 'restore' it has always been called restore in Disk Utility on OS X. It has just been moved to a menu in 10.11.

Bebias wrote:

I still call it "burning" for a flash drive. If you want to be really technical, when writing to a flash memory, you ARE burning it. But that's being pedantic.

You may call it 'burning' if you like, however 'burning' concerns CD's & DVD's (optical media that is written by a light source).

The words you use cause you to look for something that doesn't exist - this is probably why you are getting frustrated, also if you want to be really pedantic, you are not 'burning' to a USB flash drive, you are 'writing' to it.

Let us know if that works for you.

Feb 11, 2016 9:09 PM in response to Drew Reece

Yeah, being pedantic, when writing to flash memory, electronically you are "burning" through insulators with high voltage 😉

But, indeed, that probably caused confusion.

As for your reply, yes I did read and tried the options mentioned, but the "restore" function does not work with any of the ISO files I have. In the documents, they mention "disk image" which Apple defines explicitly as a DMG file (only). I could convert the ISO to DMG, but that does't always go well and it requires the command line, which I am trying to avoid here.

And as an aside, every time I open Disk Utility it hurts! Why can't I even resize so I can see the names of the volumes!!!

Feb 11, 2016 9:32 PM in response to Bebias

Bebias wrote:

And as an aside, every time I open Disk Utility it hurts! Why can't I even resize so I can see the names of the volumes!!!

No idea, it's madness & downright hostile for anyone with multiple disks or monitors over 640x480. I suspect it is to make 10.12 look like an essential upgrade 🙂

I have previously changed the suffix to .dmg to make Disk Utility happier sometimes, however that is rarely successful, I can't recall the distro.

The 'convert' option in Disk Utility has some equivalence to the 'hdiutil' command, so if that is the 'convert command' you are are referring to that may also be handled by Disk Utility (I'm not in front of 10.11 at the moment to check in it's DU, it's probably under the Images menu).

Restoring often requires you to 'scan for restore' too, which checksums the content IIRC.

I think I tried this eons ago but it wasn't for me so I stuck with dd & the other commands.

https://sevenbits.github.io/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/

Unetbootin is another option, I think that creates it's own boot environment & chainloads like USB loader.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

How can I burn an ISO to USB without using the command line?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.