Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac won't let me merge Patitions

On my MacBook pro I wanted to clean some stuff out and start a new so I created a new partition and put everything on that and erased the old partition and not I can't merge the old partition the subtract button is greyed out they are right next to each other on the disk but the space is the 2nd disk and Chicken my HD is the 4th is there a way that I can merge space into chicken or what would i have to do I've tried doing it in recovery mode that also didn't work the 3rd disk used to be the recovery partition but I thought if I deleted that and got that out of the way it might work but it didn't please help thx.

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *751.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS SPACE 373.0 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Chicken 377.8 GB disk0s4

Jonathans-MacBook-Pro:~ jonathansegal$

User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 8:49 PM

You can remove the 2nd partition and then enlarge the 1st partition to recover the space, but not the other way around.

You can clone your 2nd partition to an external drive, then repartition your internal drive to one partition, then clone from the external back to the internal.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 8:49 PM in response to lazzychicken

You can remove the 2nd partition and then enlarge the 1st partition to recover the space, but not the other way around.

You can clone your 2nd partition to an external drive, then repartition your internal drive to one partition, then clone from the external back to the internal.

Sep 16, 2016 9:38 AM in response to lazzychicken

I have exactly the same problem. Did you got to fixed?

I am trying to merge the partitions on Diskutility so it will let me install windows again. (My old windows partition got damage so I erased the partition to try to install a new copy). The problem is that Bootcamp doesn't let me installed unless my I have only one partition.

User uploaded file

(It basically saids that I must have my volume in one partition to install windows)

I have tried to merge the partitions in recovery mode, but nothing. I also tried to merge them using the live CD Gparted, but no patter what type of partition I put, It never let me resize the OSX partition, even I leave the other partion Unformatted. I also formated the partition as MS-DOS (FAT) to try to cheat on boot camp ,but nothing either.....

User uploaded file

Any clues?

This is driving me crazy....

Mac won't let me merge Patitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.