Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I create an album in Photos, how do I keep the photos from rearranging when I move it?

I create an album of photos and I move them in the order I want them. But when I move the album to a flash drive or even another album, they rearrange in a different order probably by date. How can I keep them in the same order?

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:37 AM

You are missing that files have no order - the order is supplied by the viewer

In a album the order is supplied by the sort you choose in Photos - on a flash drive the order is supplied the the viewing program which on a Mac is typically the finder - with the finder you can vie files in many different ways including by name, date created, date modified, size, etc, etc

So to vie the files in a specific order you must set the correct parameters for the files and then set the viewing program correctly - the easiest way to view photos in a specific order is to export them (file menu ==> export) using the sequential naming option and then to view them by title

LN

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 6:37 AM in response to bondante

You are missing that files have no order - the order is supplied by the viewer

In a album the order is supplied by the sort you choose in Photos - on a flash drive the order is supplied the the viewing program which on a Mac is typically the finder - with the finder you can vie files in many different ways including by name, date created, date modified, size, etc, etc

So to vie the files in a specific order you must set the correct parameters for the files and then set the viewing program correctly - the easiest way to view photos in a specific order is to export them (file menu ==> export) using the sequential naming option and then to view them by title

LN

Feb 10, 2016 6:54 AM in response to LarryHN

Thank you Larry.... That does explain why they rearrange on a flash drive. But they rearrange wherever I move them. I tried selecting all the photos in my album and then just moving them to a new album. But they never stay in the correct order. I also tried moving them to the desktop and the same thing happened. They have to be in a specific order because these are photos of my house and property that I need to give to the real estate agent on the flash drive she provided. They will eventually be shown online in multiple listings and the correct order is important.

I am going to try re-ordering them in finder.

Thanks again for your time.

Feb 10, 2016 8:44 AM in response to bondante

again files have no order - the order is set by the viewer not by you

the easiest way to view photos in a specific order is to export them (file menu ==> export) using the sequential naming option and then to view them by name

if the viewer has a dfferent system and/or uses a different sort order they will get a different order

with the finder you can view files in many different ways including by name, date created, date modified, size, etc, etc

Files are just a bunch of bits on a storage device with a directory telling the file manager (the finder or windows explorer) what bits make up a file - the user set the order - in the finder look under view ==> arrange by to see the options - for the same flash drive you (the viewer) can look at them in any of those orders and there is nothing the sender can do except set metadata so one of those gives teh desirec result - the easiest is to the the file names as I suggested so viewing them by name gives the order you want

LN

Feb 10, 2016 8:56 AM in response to bondante

I tried selecting all the photos in my album and then just moving them to a new album.

and once again the sort order is set by the viewer - each album can be sorted by photos date ascending or descending or by title - putting the same photos in an album with a different sort order is going to be viewed differently - to set the sort order for an album right click on the album and select the sort order - sort order is not an attribute of the photos, it is set by the viewer both in Photos and in the finder

LN

Feb 10, 2016 9:08 AM in response to bondante

The Finder (which does the organizing outside of Photos) only sorts by File name or file date. Here's another method to get the order you want outside of the library.

Do the following:

1 - put the files in the order in Photos in an album.

2 - use this Applescript to batch change the Title to user selected text and a sequential following number: Photos for Mac - Batch Change Title to Text w/Padded Sequential No.

NOTE: You can download a compiled version of the script as an application from this tutorial: P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

3 - select the photos again and export with this option: File Name: Use Title.

User uploaded file

That will produce file names that will sort alphanumerically in the Finder in the same order as they were in your Photos album.

User uploaded file

Feb 10, 2016 9:36 AM in response to bondante

I wish "sort" had the option of sorting numerically, then I could just number them.

Which "sort"are you referring to? In the Finder? If so then clicking on the top of the Name column in a Finder window will sort the file alphanumerically. If you rename the files with 01, 02, 03, etc. and export with the Title as the Filename they will be sorted in the Finder as you'd like.

User uploaded file

When I create an album in Photos, how do I keep the photos from rearranging when I move it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.