Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Network

Hello,

I have a two story house and currently my linksys is sketchy on the second floor. I am also thinking about upgrading to a TC and was wondering if I put an AE upstairs if this would help connectivity.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Calendar -OTHER

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:07 PM

5 replies

Feb 9, 2016 10:30 PM in response to Rick Seaman

By AE do you mean Express or Extreme?

The TC is no wireless power house.. so I am unable to rate it in your house.. if the floor / ceiling is concrete don't expect too much. It is better to plan on running ethernet between floors or using EOP (homeplug) adapters.

It is also impossible to say the TC will be better or worse than current Linksys.. because I have no idea what one it is.

Feb 10, 2016 5:59 AM in response to Rick Seaman

That's the theory. But, because you are sending a very small electrical signal over very high voltage AC powerlines, and the signals must travel all the way back to the main AC circuit box, things do not always work as well as the theory suggests. So, the bottom line with these devices is that you will not know how well they might work in your home.....until you try them out in your home. So, if you decide to try these adapters, it would be a good idea to understand the store's return policy in case the adapters do not perform well for you.

An Ethernet cable connecting the two wireless access points would always be the best way to go in terms of reliability and performance.

Trying to connect two wireless access points wirelessly is always the last choice in terms of performance, since so much of the signal is lost in this type of process......but it can work if the "extending" device is located where it can receive a strong wireless signal from your "main" router.

Regarding your Linksys, as LaPastenague mentions, we know nothing about this device. It might be a modem/router, combining both a modem and router in one package. The Time Capsule does not have a modem on board, so if the Linksys really is a modem/router and you replace it with a Time Capsule, you will need a separate modem for the Time Capsule if you want to be able to access the Internet.

We could give you a better answer about things if we knew what model of Linksys that you had. We don't need or want the serial number......just the model number.

Feb 10, 2016 7:39 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

Thanks for the info, so I don't have the Linksys model in front of me, but I do have a wired ethernet that goes to the upstairs, I wired it years ago before wireless was any good. So Can I hook up my ethernet to the Linksys downstairs and then pipe into the (WAN?) line of an airport upstairs and have a wireless upstairs with piped ethernet line downstairs?

Does any of what I said even make any sense?

Rick

Feb 10, 2016 7:50 PM in response to Rick Seaman

Can I hook up my ethernet to the Linksys downstairs and then pipe into the (WAN?) line of an airport upstairs and have a wireless upstairs with piped ethernet line downstairs?

Yes, you can. The upstairs wireless can use the same wireless network name and password as the downstairs wireless.....or.....it can use a different name and password. Whichever you want.

Before you add anything new though, it would be a good idea to test to make sure that the Ethernet cable is still working. To do that, connect a computer to the Ethernet cable upstairs and turn off the WiFi on the computer. Test to make sure that you can get a good, solid Internet connection that way. If you can....then you know the Ethernet cable is wired and working correctly.

Home Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.