Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long do clips have to be before I can make transitions longer than 1:00?

(This is one of those "Is it me? Or the software? Or am I just tired?" things.)

I'm working on project where - it seems - nearly all of the clips are "too short" and require FCP to create the transition (using what used to be called the ripple tool, I think).

I can understand that for shorter five-second clips, sure; but as an experiment I compounded a couple of them with themselves, to get some frames on either end to use - up to 10 and 15 seconds and they were still too short. I slowed them down even further...still too short, red on both sides.

So I'm wondering: just what is the minimum clip length for a decently gradual transition? Even 2:00 would be better than these 1:00 and :16 flashes I'm getting, and I don't remember it being this way in other projects.

Many thanks,

IW

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 12:03 PM

Media Handles are required.

Try a test with two clips:

Make an in point two seconds from the start and an out point 2 seconds from the end of each clip.

Place the two clips in the Timeline then add a two second cross dissolve.

Should work.

FCP X can also let you know if there are no media handles and ask if you want a transition at the expense of shortening clips.

Al

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 12:03 PM in response to iWood-MHP

Media Handles are required.

Try a test with two clips:

Make an in point two seconds from the start and an out point 2 seconds from the end of each clip.

Place the two clips in the Timeline then add a two second cross dissolve.

Should work.

FCP X can also let you know if there are no media handles and ask if you want a transition at the expense of shortening clips.

Al

Feb 10, 2016 1:36 AM in response to iWood-MHP

Alchroma has already given you the answer - you need handles.

It is not the length of the clips that matter - they can be one hour long, or 5 seconds.

Handles are the extra frames that you are not using. If you select an entire clip in the browser and drag it to the timeline, you'll have no handles.

One way to better understand this is to double-click the edit point in the timeline.

User uploaded file

This will open what is called the "precision editor". It will look like this:

User uploaded file

Handles are necessary to maintain the length of your edit - e.g. for a 1 second transition you will need 0.5 second on each side of the edit point. These extra frames are combined with the end or start of the other clip to create the transition.

Feb 10, 2016 1:59 AM in response to iWood-MHP

You can set a default transition length up to 10 seconds in Preferences (last line of Editing pane):

User uploaded file

so that when you apply a Transition to your clips, FCPX will create the needed amount of media if there are no handles, or use as much as specified.

Otherwise, you can use the tools (essentially hidden) in the Timeline. There are two methods.

User uploaded file

The "grab bars" (white arrows) on either top end of the transition can be click-dragged to create more media handle. Drag the right side left and the left side right. After, you can click-drag the transition ends (green arrows) to extend the length of the transition (as far as I can tell, you can make transitions as long as you have media handles... I was able to easily do over a minute in tests... ran out of media length.) The "bowtie" icon (red arrow) lets you perform a roll edit on the media in (under?) the transition.

The second method gives you more precision and it's called: The Precision Editor... Double click on the "bowtie" icon in the transition to open up the Precision Editor. You can perform the same functions detailed above, plus you can click on the clips on either side and drag them (as you do, you get a two-up display to "calibrate" the transition. You can skim the ingoing and outgoing clips and click on a point you want to make the starting IN point and ending OUT point. Etc... It's cool. You should play with it a little to get a feel for it.

Feb 10, 2016 12:15 PM in response to iWood-MHP

Fantastic, all very helpful, thank you! I've been poking around online and in forums for a day or so and just didn't have the right terms to get to this answer.

fox_m answered my next question - how to deal with clips already in the timeline that don't have handles (which was basically all of them). The Precision Editor! Changed m' life, thankya.

How long do clips have to be before I can make transitions longer than 1:00?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.