Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help getting Apple TV working on multiple computers

PLEASE HELP.

I'm trying to use home sharing between

1) my MacBook Pro and my Apple TV and

2) my wife's MacBook Air and my Apple TV.

Here's the scenario:

It works when I use my Apple ID on my MacBook Pro

It does not work when I use my Apple ID on my wife's MacBook Air

It does not work when I use my wife's Apple ID on my MacBook Pro

It does not work when I use my wife's Apple ID on her MacBook Air

Yes I'm making sure the correct Apple ID is logged in on the Apple TV.

I do not understand.

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:40 PM

8 replies

Feb 10, 2016 11:19 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I am not trying to use the IDs simultaneously.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. I login with my Apple ID to the Apple TV.

2. I login with my Apple ID to my iTunes.

3. I am able to use my Apple TV to view content from my iTunes.

4. I logout of my iTunes.

5. I login to my wife's iTunes using my Apple ID.

6. I am UNABLE to view my wife's iTunes content on my Apple TV.

ALSO. When I try to use my wife's Apple ID on her iTunes with her Apple ID on the Apple TV, it does not work either.

Does this make sense?

Feb 10, 2016 11:30 AM in response to Vinceassociate

I am able to use the Apple TV perfectly fine when my Apple ID is used for both my iTunes and the Apple TV.

Let me reiterate.

I AM NOT trying to do these things simultaneously. I logout of one and login to the other.

Here's the four scenarios:

My Apple ID logged in on Apple TV + my Apple ID logged in on my iTunes = Apple TV WORKS to view content from my iTunes

My Apple ID logged in on Apple TV + my Apple ID logged in on wife's iTunes = Apple TV DOES NOT WORK to view content from wife's iTunes

Wife's Apple ID logged in on Apple TV + wife's Apple ID logged in on my iTunes = Apple TV DOES NOT WORK to view content from my iTunes

Wife's Apple ID logged in on Apple TV + wife's Apple ID logged in on wife's iTunes = Apple TV DOES NOT WORK to view content from wife's iTunes

Feb 11, 2016 12:23 PM in response to radiochem

I tried this for you:

iMac with one Apple ID

Macbook Air with another independent Apple ID (my wife)

Same ATV4 and same wifi network.

With both machines running iTunes and each with Home sharing turned on, I was able to switch between computers on the ATV simply by changing the ID under settings, accounts, Home sharing. Nothing else was changed. On the ATV I remained logged into my iTunes and iCloud accounts under my ID.

Feb 12, 2016 1:35 AM in response to radiochem

You shouldn't have to change any ID's anywhere to be able to switch the library you use from the computer app.

All you need to do is use the same ID everywhere for home sharing (on both computers and on the Apple TV) and it doesn't matter whether it is yours or hers, You do need to log into iTunes with your own ID's though.

Is this what you are doing.

Need help getting Apple TV working on multiple computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.