Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store: Why should I provide/update payment information installing a free app?

I was installing a free app from the Store and was requested to update payment information. Basically App Store was correct - the card, I registered in the Store, had been expired, but I was installing a free app and I was not able to complete the installation (didn't have a new card with me). I really think it wasn't a good time to update that info. Is there any workaround for this so I can complete the installation without registering a new card?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 11:28 PM

3 replies

Feb 11, 2016 7:42 AM in response to eugenfromminsk

Greetings eugenfromminsk,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you were prompted to update your payment method while downloading a free app, but didn’t have the new credit card with you to update the information.

As a temporary measure, you can choose “None” as your payment method. This will allow you do still download free applications and perform your updates. You can also leave “None” selected in your payment information as long as you choose if you would rather not have a card associated with your account.

Change or remove your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support

If “None” is not an option, read over the following article as it describes a few different reasons on why you may not be seeing that option.

Why can’t I select None when I edit my Apple ID payment information? - Apple Support

Have a great day!

App Store: Why should I provide/update payment information installing a free app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.