Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions typed in thread are gone after signing in?

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

You type a question into a particular thread and it prompts you to login. Once you have logged in, the question is gone.

I find it rather annoying and hope it can be fixed soon.

Browser: Chrome (latest version)

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iTunes 10.7

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 9:19 PM

5 replies

Feb 9, 2016 10:00 PM in response to babowa

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I will remember in the future to sign in prior to typing questions, but I think it is something that should be fixed.

The typed question shouldn't disappear simply because you forgot to sign in prior to typing the question. When you hit the 'submit my question to the community' button and it prompts for your login credentials, it should remember the question.

Feb 10, 2016 7:30 AM in response to steellogic

You seem to be saying two different things:

1. "You type a question into a particular thread and it prompts you to login"
  2. "When you hit the 'submit my question to the community' button and it prompts for your login credentials"

In my understanding:

1. is a REPLY to an existing thread message
  2. is creating a NEW Question - you create the Title AND the original post = this then posts the new THREAD tot he forum

"disappearing messages" are an intermittent and totally random glitch in the forum software - I call them "Phantom Posts" = you KNOW they are there by any number of means, but they are invisible to YOU and not others(maybe them too, but not relevant)

I have never seen a New Question disappear, but I do not create many

I have seen hundreds of Phantom Posts (as most here have)

1. Replying to a message requires that one be logged in to even SEE the Reply link - IF you have been idle for 30+ minutes while visiting a particular thread, you could see the Reply link and actually be timed out - thus, it would prompt you for login
  2. similarly, if you are timed out, the system should prompt you for login credentials - BUT - it seems that there is something 'special' about the New Question creation that, in the past, would allow you to go through the motions and, in the end, be presented with an error message

If #2 is truly your experience - it just goes "POOF" - then this MAY indicate that the AppleJiveTeam is attempting to "fix" that glitch and is getting unexpected consequences of being timed out

If #1 - AND - Phantom Post(s) - I know of two workarounds:

A way to avoid being timed out while visiting a thread is to open a reply pane and do nothing - this autosaves every minute or so and resets the 30 minute timer each time

I understand timing out is important - when signed into ASC you are also signed into any Store portion of Apple.com via the [BUY] button - oddly, one is NOT logged into one's Apple ID management portion 😕

Questions typed in thread are gone after signing in?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.